Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm An Ebay Idiot

chunger

DOH! . .

After much research and calculating about the benefits of reloading, I have become an ebay idiot and paid $376 for a 1 year old NIB Dillon 550B instead of $369 for a new one from this website :blink:

I'm just beating myself up 'cause I thought it included dies but it didn't. I thought I was being a sneaky sniper :ph34r: Guess I'll not eat lunch today and make up the $6. .. DAH!!!

This throws off the calculations a bit. The wife wanted to buy me a reloader for Xmas, and I figured around $400 would be a pretty good target. . . so I was searching for a 550 w/ dies used for ~$375. . . or, I would have stepped down to a square deal because I'm usually very good with machines and have a good "feel" for making things turn out good no matter if the tools are optimal. . . and it would have given me a bit more buffer for the extras I know I'll need since this is my 1st step into reloading. Just the other day, I passed up my 1st viable option. . . a used 550B on ar15.com w/ .45 dies.

I should have been more patient and bid very conservatively. . . oh well, done is done. All these little bits are so hard to keep straight.

Edited by chunger

Instead of cunning bid strategy, how about this (and if you're sensative I apologize in advance), just buy it from folks like Brian that support our support. You won't always get the "best" price, but $6 towards this site is a drop in the bucket on the amount of $$$ it saves you from bad purchases.

Not tootin' my own horn too much, but recently I bought a pistol and other parts from a dealer on this forum. Could I have got the pistol at another location cheaper? Yes...'cause I did the research. The difference was like $30. However, for the time that he took talking to me, for the support that someone gives to this site and this sport (he sponsors a few matches a year) $30 is nothing. Even if he wasn't a dealer on the forums, and just a member, I'd have still gone with him, since he's a fellow BE'er.

The point, sometimes the grass that's greener, maybe is on the other side of the fence, but home is still on this side and a little extra kept at home makes us all better.

Enough of my soapbox.

Glad you're gettin' squared away. Next time I'm back home in California, I hope to see you out at Richmond or Yolo.

Rich

yup yup,

Should've purchased here. . . if I had known I was paying near retail, I would have, but I missed the part about the conversion kit not containing dies. The prices here are actually really really good for Dillon stuff. I was trying to get myself into the used/budget route, and find myself in the new route.

Sometimes you have to give yourself a good kick and move on. Luckily, this was one of my less costly blunders all things considered.

:blink:

Edited by chunger

Just a heads up for future reference. Because Dillon is...Dillon, there really is no such thing as a used Dillon press. My first press was a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT, XL650. I had it sent to Dillon for a "tune up". Anything that was bad, was replaced (not that anything was, I just wanted it done), lubed, etc. It came back to me, I set it up and was off and running.

It's been the same for all Dillon presses I own and love them all. I have never bought a new one. All of mine and one's I've had, are bought from fellow BE'ers. Deals to be had, but know that there really isn't a "discount" 'cause you can always start with a new press because Dillon....is Dillon.

Rich

If you pay with PayPal you can return it for a refund.

Eh, no need to try and wiggle out of it. I've got 100% feedback on Ebay and I follow through even with the dumb choices. Fair and is fair and I've had my share of people go out of their way to make things right for me in online transactions. Better keep the good juju flowing.

It aint all that bad. I have a new NIB Dillon 550B on the way. I just have to pick up some dies and I'm almost ready to roll some bullets. In a few months, I'll be so happy I'll forget. If I ever upgrade or move on, I'll probably get most of my money back.

'Cause Dillon's a good company ;)

Edited by chunger

As far as getting caught up in the "BUY BUY BUY" mode.... I started cruising the for sales in a couple of forums Thursday looking to buy a used rifle stock. I own 4 of them this morning. How the hell that happened I have no idea. :wacko:;)

As far as getting caught up in the "BUY BUY BUY" mode.... I started cruising the for sales in a couple of forums Thursday looking to buy a used rifle stock. I own 4 of them this morning. How the hell that happened I have no idea. :wacko:;)

Wouldn't happen to be an AR fixed stock would it? I'm looking for one, lol

Before I bought my press I searched high and low to find out Dillon has a minum msrp.

So it is all about the people I called Brian and chatted for an hour or so when I purchased my first press.

Beware all Dillon stuff on Ebay goes for new price :blink: .

I thought about ordering extra just to make a few bucks selling it on Ebay :lol:

One thing a lot of people don't do is look up how much things cost outside of ebay before bidding.

I'm currently looking for a digital camera on ebay. The bids have been about $400 below what the going rate is. But since the retailer is in the same state, add in tax and shipping, the cost is within $50 of what a major retailer is selling for and they offer no tax or shipping. Not much of a deal there.

One thing a lot of people don't do is look up how much things cost outside of ebay before bidding.

I'm currently looking for a digital camera on ebay. The bids have been about $400 below what the going rate is. But since the retailer is in the same state, add in tax and shipping, the cost is within $50 of what a major retailer is selling for and they offer no tax or shipping. Not much of a deal there.

Certain things are good on Ebay. . . linens, silver, china . . . but you have to be pretty vigilant and conservative in your bidding. It works because there's so much of it at any given time nobody can really watch all of it at once. Plus, a lot of it is unique stuff that's hard to gauge value.

I messed up when I thought the press included the dies which would have made approx $50 savings. I set my snipe price at what I thought was aggressive/safe at $355 ($20 shipping). . . thinking it included dies, that would have guaranteed ~$40 savings. . . and from the other presses that were selling on Ebay, I figured I'd lose, but there was a chance of wining because it was Sunday, and typically not as many people watch Ebay on Sunday.

I was shocked when i figured out I had won, and it did not come with dies, the "safe" part of aggressive/safe saved me from huge disaster but I still lost money. The Dillon stuff is too watched on Ebay. Still, it doesn't feel good. I could have waited 'til closer to X-mas and purchased new from here or waited for one to come up again in the classifieds. Or, continued to bid low for several months on presses until I won 1 at a good price. I knew the retail prices. I just mis-read this auction.

knowing what I do now, I would have set my bid at $310 and lost. . . and continued my search.

Edited by chunger

OK. . .cleaned out the garage and I'm feeling much better about life today :) Sold some things, ate a burrito w/ the proceeds and am closer to completing my 1st setup. Fun items should be arriving in the mail shortly and I should be able to set up a temporary reloading space. (I'm slowly changing my house right now from 700 sq. ft. to 2000 sq. ft. so things are in flux). Middle of the spare room works :ph34r:

So far I have collected:

Overpriced Dillon 550B :wacko: early X-mas from wife!!

.45 caliber conversion

Dillon mechanical powder scale

RCBS tumbler

some cheapy dial calipers that I've been using for years

cheapy primer flip tray

Lee 4 die set .45 ACP

Lee 4 die set 9mm

Still need to collect:

extra primer pickup tubes

9mm caliber conversion

x-tra tool head

x-tra powder die

Loading manual

Dillon die nut locky thingys

(all of above probably from this webstore)

And then, I have to sell off 1000 9mm factory fmj bullets and buy:

Hogdon Clays and Titegroup

Some Zero Bullets

Some big and small pistol primers

Some .45 brass

. . . . . and. . . . hope I don't burn the house down or shoot my eye out. :o

Getting there. . . this forum is the best for info. I figured I'd start out with the