Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My girl

3quartertime

This may not be the type accomplishment that all are used to.  

I've been corrupting my 8 year old daughter.  I got her a ruger bearcat to fit her smaller hands.  She has been shooting with me every day for the last two weeks.  Today she was hitting her dot.  ( I let her shoot with me when I do my dot drills).   She is getting very comfortable with grip and sight picture.  Most importantly she has impressed the hell out of me with her range saftey.  

Sorry to take up space but I'm proud as I can be of her.  Watch out IPSC shooters,  I'm training a tiger (woods).

Just for fun we went to a pals shooting party.  He has a legal MAC-11.  I couldn't help my self.  After checking it myself I handed to her.  ( yes shes 8).  She rapped off 15 or so rounds and looked up at me with the biggest grin a little girl could muster.

This is what its all about!!!

That's the best feeling there is.

My daughter at nearly 7 just loves coming to therange. She always gets to shoot something. She seems to prefer my 38Super at present. Still a little excitable but getting there.

Good luck with the little shooters of the world. We need many more.

Long ago one of my daughters (about 8 at the time) came to the range and insisted she wanted to shoot my .357.

She had shot some before, but never seemed real interested. Just something to do with Daddy once in awhile. I explained about the recoil and blast of the .357, "I know, I've watched you shoot it." Well, OK.

I put one bullet in, she can't hold up the 8" barrelled gun for long, and BANG!.  You could see her rock backwards, I swear her hair was sticking out behind her for a second. She lowered the gun, got this little grin and said,"Can I do that again?".

Ain't they great?

I don't normally give kids the big guns to early, but I got to tell you this.

We ran a local scout group through their marksman badge. At the end we let them have a go with near anything we could legally shoot. I took along my Remington Rolling Block 32" 45-70. I figured a few of the parents would like to give it a crack.

I loaded up a 405gr with a warm blackpowder load. Once this was let off the range was filled with scouts wanting to get a go. About 8 from the front was the smallest 9 year old the world has ever seen. I thought he will chicken out, NO. Mum was a little tentative but he was going to do it.

So I loaded it, got him in tight and held the barrel up for him, took so long to sight I nearly died. This rig runs 12lb. He let rip and hung on. Best part was he drilled the bowling pin we were using as a target. HUGE grin and he went to the back of the queue for another go.

After about four shots his dad finally gave in and took him of to another range. He is probably still smiling. He now shoots indoor sporting 22lr rifle at a club near where he lives. Dad always goes along and mum is sometimes seen at the range as well.

• 2 weeks later...

'My girl' update.

I borrowed my buddies Ruger KP512.  She's been shooting it for a couple of days now.  Once again I'm impressed with her range saftey.  ( guess I got one thing right!!!  I'm sure several here will be wildly amazed.)  From the first shot I could see she was ready.

Today we went to the local gun shop.  She earned it.  Time for her first blaster.  She got the same one she shoots so well.  We got two extra mags (total four) and an uncle mikes holster.  She'll use my production mag pouches for now.  

The corruption continues but aaaaaaaaahhhh the rewards!!!