Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lengthen Forcing Cone On Benelli M1s90?

BigDave

I'm about to have the barrel on the Benelli threaded for tubes and a friend suggested I have the forcing cone lengthened at the same time (19.75" bbl - I think)? If it is worth while, I think I'll just have it all done at the same time. But if not...welll...that's what I have you folks for.

TIA

IN a sporting gun it makes the bigest diference , more than posting but it does not "look" cool so not as popular. I am a cheep guy and I spent the $$ to have both barrels on my over & under don.

it helps the shot colum not to get jambed up as bad and can help in the shot patern too.

BUT I may not know nothing

Jamie

I don't think you can do it with a Benelli - the barrel is chrome lined, and I believe there is an issue with the chrome flaking off. I might be wrong on that one, but I remember reading something about it in one of the forums.

5Shot

Lengthening the forcing cone can reduce the felt recoil (slows the impulse) and also usually results in less deformed shot for better patterns. As 5Shot mentioned, it's pretty much impossible to do on a chrome lined barrel. Some gunsmiths will also charge more for installing choke tubes in a chromed barrel. I've had the forcing cone lengthened on all my standard barrels and think it's worth the money, however I wouldn't sweat it if I had a chrome barrel and couldn't have it done.

I'd find out what the forcing cone length is first, since it's "generally accepted" that anything beyond 2 " is a "waste". How long are they now?

And, it has to be done properly and polished well after you remove the chrome lining.

IMHO, it's also a "questionable" modification on a modern gun barrel. I've had it done to one gun and couldn't tell the difference in "recoil", and I had a duplicate gun to compare with. Others say they can "feel" the difference...okay, it's not that expensive a modification anyway.

The best argument for longer forcing cones is a better pattern, but I'm not convinced.

Could be wrong though. :unsure:

For clay target shooters, that arguable discussion is on the same plane as religion and politics. ;)

Beven Grams tried this and didn't notice any difference. Since he didn't say it actually did any damage, I thought I'd try it on my Benelli. I noticed a big difference on my Mossberg pump, but the effect was almost nil on the Benelli. Odd, but true. Recoil was the same, shot patterns were the pretty much the same. For whatever reason, the forcing cone is just not a significant source of felt recoil or pellet deformation on the Benelli.

While there is chrome lining in the barrel, it's not really going to flake off if you do it right using plenty of cutting oil and thoroughly polish the new cone. I've put about 500 rounds through after lengthening the cone and there no sign of flaking at all.

All in all, I wouldn't recco it as it's just not worth the money and hassle. If you already have a forcing cone reamer, fine, give it a try, but it's certainly not worth spending any sort of money on.

A far more noticable mod for me was lightening the bolt carrier. That made a big difference in felt recoil.