Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Rifle Dies

mjbine

Hi,

Have a couple of Redding comp seaters but encountered a common problem with the 223 specimen.

The seatingstem of these dies is prone to cracking. And a cracked stem will damage the sleeve it sits in which in turn will damage (scratch) your bullets.

This is actually a common problem I found out, loads of high power shooters experienced it. Their advice was to get a Forster BR seater.

I already have a Forster BR seater in 308 and also a Redding comp one. When comparing them for bullet runout I can see no differences. According to the guys that have been using Forsters longer they are not prone to the seating stem cracking problem.

Another advantage is that the Forster die is much cheaper than the Redding one.

Cheers,

BolloX

I have Competition Dies from Redding, and Forrester, (Bonanza). To me I like the RCBS Competition Dies the best because they have the nice handy little "window" in the side for bullet seating. If your a person that has large hands and fingers, (and I do), it really makes bullet seating much easier. I bought a set from Sportsmans Warehouse last year because it was the only set they had in .308. I'm really glad I did. The only thing I don't like about them is the graduations on the micrometer barrel aren't highlited and the micrometer seating stem is blued steel and very hard to read. I fixed the "problem" with some Bonanza Silver engraving filler I had left over. The numbers stand out like a sore thumb now. You could probably get the same result with a white Crayola Crayon. Bill T.

Hi BillT,

Have you ever measured the bullet runout when using that RCBS comp die? I have one too and the runout is not better than a std seater die. It doesn't even come close to the Redding and Forster.

Shooters in my surroundings using this die have the same experiences.

Cheers,

BolloX

Hi BillT,

Have you ever measured the bullet runout when using that RCBS comp die?

To be very honest I have not. But you've now given me a good reason to do so. I'll let you know the next time I do a batch of .308. I have a Forrester, (Bonanza) Competition seater Die in .300 Weatherby and have never detected any objectionable runout with it. Bill T.