Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

morning all, completeing whole house remodeling job, part of which is a gun room for myself. Two options, a large 35 gun safe, OR can anyone recomend someone who can conctruct a gun safe room, say 8'X10', or would this be too pricey? send me your thoughts.

thanks mike

G+16,

doing this right now in my house: added a new room in the basement to become my lab/gun room.

This room is "blind" (no windows), underground (two small stair ramps to get there) and surrounded by concrete walls.

Right now I am moving my safe in there, but I plan to add an armoured door at the entrance of it, to actually make it an armoured room.

If you already have the luxury of such a room, it's a lot cheaper to add the armoured door than purchasing a large safe (IMHO).

Do a search for a Diebold (pronounced "DEE-bold") office in your area. If you can't locate them that way inquire at your local bank. They often times have vault doors that have been removed from service due to branch closings, relocations, etc. Depending on who you talk to you might be able to get a very good deal on a door. They're also the experts on moving and installing such devices.

If you decide to go the conventional safe route, carefully plan and analyze your specific needs with respect to capacity, and then go 1 or 2 sizes bigger. Do it now, 'cause you can't stretch them later.

Edited by ima45dv8

If I were building new or a complete remodel, I would have a vaulted room.

The safe I purchased has an ample amount of room for firearms but I not enough room for the other things I never dreamed I would want to store in a safe.

Like storing files with other peoples Tax Payer Identification numbers (Social Security).

FM