Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder-puff Loads With Titegroup

rod m1

I've been shooting low powered loads and I'm having leading problems.

The Alloy is 2% tin, 8% antimony mix, I would like to now what alloy mix would be best for low power loads using TG? What manufactures supply a good bullet for this purpose?

Edited by rod m1

Rod, it may not be the bullet's fault. TG is a fast buring nitro based powder, it is burning the base of the bullet and leading your barrel. You need to try a slower powder like W231 and Unique and the like. See if that takes care of the leading. If it doesnt, then the bullet alloy is indeed too soft. With a Brinell of 18 or higher you will be able to shoot Bullseye, CLAYS, ot TG with the lead bullets and not see any noticeable leading. In this case harder is better. I use twoalphabullets.com for all my lad bullets and they are at least 18-20 brinell.

Good luck,

DougC

I'm going to be contrarian here. The problem with hard bullets leading at low pressure/velocity is usually caused by the alloy being too hard. Try a box of Zero or Speer or Hornady swaged bullets and it'll probably fix your problem.

I use bullets of the same alloy as yours for my .357 Magnum loads and they don't lead for squat. In a .38 Special, they lead up the forcing cone area within a couple of cylinders. OTOH, I've shot 750 .38 Specials in a day's training and not had a speck of lead in the bore, using Zero swaged lead bullets over a +P portion of Titegroup.

Edited by revchuck

That alloy is WAY too hard for what you are wanting, AND TiteGroup sucks.

For low power loads straight lead with 1% tin is plenty hard, and the only reason you add tin is to fill out the mold and make pretty bullets. Straight wheelweights are even a little on the hard side.

If you are going to buy bullets get swaged bullets. Most swaged bullets are lubed with a dry coating that may or may not be enough. If it isn't enough lube, and you will know by leading toward the muzzle end of the bore you can coat them yourself. Thin out some Lee Liquid Alox with mineral spirits until it is about the consistency of hot syrup, apply VERY sparingly to the bullets. One bottle used this way is enough for 5 or 6 thousand bullets.

Try Clays instead of TiteGroup. Unique is awesome for lead bullets too if you like the feel of loads using it.

I've been shooting low powered loads and I'm having leading problems.

The Alloy is 2% tin, 8% antimony mix, I would like to now what alloy mix would be best for low power loads using TG? What manufactures supply a good bullet for this purpose?

I believe your problem may be powder rather than alloy related. You should try a powder like WST or W-231 which do very well with low velocity lead bullet loads.