Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Competes With Their Carry Gear?

mattbeck

One of these days I will have to get agressive about my wheelgun shooting so Ed and I can bring "Revchuck" in on the action! :D

Shoot, then I won't have the excuse of "Hey, he's shooting one of them light-triggered single-action bottomfeeding gamer guns, that's how come he beat me!" any more. :D (But I did sneak by you on one of the stages last Thursday...)

• 2 weeks later...

..a double tap, from one of the other threads here.

But, I shoot what I carry...a Glock 27 or a 20.

I shoot the monthly matches, and maybe a State IDPA match, once a year. Great opportunites to learn new skills by watching and asking some of the more skilled shooters "how's you do that?" -HA.

Good shooting.

Jay

Better question would be (Who competes with their carry ammo?)

Who uses HydraShoks or some sort of defensive (Full Power) ammo?

Actually, the ammo makes little difference unless you're shooting .40 S&W and loading it down to the 125 PF. 9x19, .38 Special and .45 ACP are fairly close to the required PFs, so handloads will be a reasonable replication of carry ammo. Some brands of carry ammo (Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, etc.) are way too pricey to shoot at a match.

FWIW, once a year I shoot my old carry ammo at a match and load the mags/speedloaders with fresh ammo. I don't see any difference in my scores when I do.

We had a bill drill one day and the RO/SO said anyone not using their carry ammo was a Woosy(he used a different word). I used my carry ammo of 124+P Speer gold dots and it was an interesting drill. I blew a huge hole in the target, but I hit all 0s! It was interesting to feel the blast reflected from the target that close!

I shot a match last Saturday with my Glock 38 in SSP and the Glock 39 in ESP using factory Federal .45 GAP. About 195 power factor. It's kind of nice to shoot with folks that work at the Federal plant here in MN. As we were setting up the match one of the guys that works for Federal walks up to me and gives me two fifty round boxes of factory seconds Federal HST's in .45 GAP. A few of the nickle casings were a little tarnished, but they ran great!

I would shoot my carry gear in IDPA but my police duty gear does not meet the rules. I guess the gear I wear and use all night long on patrol is not "suitable and appropriate for all day wear". I sure hope the bad guys don't read the IDPA rulebook and find out all us police officers are not properly equiped to "solve real world self defense situations".

I know it is a game but IDPA seems to want to be more 'practical' and less gamey than USPSA, doesn't make sense to me to not allow police officers to use their duty gear. we sure aren't going have an advantage with it, most of it is slower to use (holsters with at least a thumb snap for retention, some with a lot more, magazine pouches with flaps, etc).

I do shoot with my police gear in some USPSA matches. I shoot with it for practice and fun, can't be very competitive shooting from a holster with retention, 8 round magazines, magazine pouches with flaps snapped closed, etc. I usually shoot about one classification lower than when not using it.

Seems kind of backwards, but those are the rules.

I would shoot my carry gear in IDPA but my police duty gear does not meet the rules. I guess the gear I wear and use all night long on patrol is not "suitable and appropriate for all day wear". I sure hope the bad guys don't read the IDPA rulebook and find out all us police officers are not properly equiped to "solve real world self defense situations".

I know it is a game but IDPA seems to want to be more 'practical' and less gamey than USPSA, doesn't make sense to me to not allow police officers to use their duty gear. we sure aren't going have an advantage with it, most of it is slower to use (holsters with at least a thumb snap for retention, some with a lot more, magazine pouches with flaps, etc).

I do shoot with my police gear in some USPSA matches. I shoot with it for practice and fun, can't be very competitive shooting from a holster with retention, 8 round magazines, magazine pouches with flaps snapped closed, etc. I usually shoot about one classification lower than when not using it.

Seems kind of backwards, but those are the rules.

What's not IDPA legal about your duty gear? I've shot several matches with a sherrif's deputies in duty gear. I can remember two MS state matches with at least one full duty gear competitor.

I would shoot my carry gear in IDPA but my police duty gear does not meet the rules.

Seems like the rulebook sufficiently covers this situation:

CoF 13. Use concealment for scenario stages when appropriate. Exception: Police or military officers when using actual duty gear.

L. Any type of filler to hide an offset.

Exception – Police or military officers may use their duty rig, but ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used and all belt equipment (mace, handcuffs, etc.) must be present.

What is your specific issue?

Ken Reed

Generally too expensive.

But last year Ammoman.com had a special on 'reclassified' Speer Gold Dot 357SIGs. I bought a couple of thousand rounds. Shot several matches including the CA state IDPA match with that ammo.

But the Winchester white box .40 S&W from Wal-Mart makes major, and that's mostly what I've shot this year. I consider that to be reasonably 'full power', even though it's not JHP defensive ammunition.