Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Practice Ammo

Ray_Z

What ever happened to the cheap 7.62x39 ammo. Can't find it at the shows. Not showing up at the gun stores. I asked a dealer at the last gun show that I went to about it. He said that there are boatloads of the stuff sitting off the West coast waiting to come in. But the feds are stopping it. Do you think this is BS or are we experiencing more back door gun control?

What I've heard is that the Government is buying up most of the 7.62x39 production and shipping to Iraq. I seriously doubt that ships full of ammo are just sitting off the coast, waiting on a bureaucrat. By cheap 7.62x39 ammo I assume you're talking about Wolf. I just recently bought a case of the stuff from Cabella's.

Hey Joe

I'm sorta with you on this. But I used to be able to buy a case for under a hundred bucks. The closed I can come at the gun shows is $160. That's a big jump. Something has to be up

• 2 months later...

Another reason for the price jump is the fact that the price of non ferrous metals, (Copper, Brass, Lead), has gone thru the roof in the last several months. Part of the reason for this is because China is buying up a tremendous amount of metal to support it's ever increasing industrial base. Don't look for ammo to come down much in the near future. If you do find a deal, buy as much as you can because you will no doubt be paying more in the future. Bill T.

It's not just rifle ammo.............. brass and copper are at all time high prices and it's really increasing the cost of reloading parts too.

Bullets I used to buy 18 months ago for 4 cents are now over 9 cents each.

For rifle ammo.. try sportsmansguide.com

I just bought a case of 223 from them.

Another reason for the price jump is the fact that the price of non ferrous metals, (Copper, Brass, Lead), has gone thru the roof in the last several months. Part of the reason for this is because China is buying up a tremendous amount of metal to support it's ever increasing industrial base. Don't look for ammo to come down much in the near future. If you do find a deal, buy as much as you can because you will no doubt be paying more in the future. Bill T.

Easy enough to verify thanks to wall street. Seems that China has been expanding production of many goods including cars that use lead batteries (as do ours) water heaters, refrigerators, A/C units, etc - which all use copper. And ammo deliveries require the use of petroleum (oil/gas) - we all know about those price increases.