Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs

Huey

What is the wisdom regarding variable wound or progressive wound recoil springs? What are the benifits or draw backs of this design versus the straight or conventional wound springs?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of being accused of rehashing an old topic, I would like to explore the recoil spring subject in a bit more depth. I understand the nature of the difference between a variable wound and conventional wound recoil spring. However, what are the pros and cons of each? Which one is better for a Limited 40 and why? The way I see it, a variable wound srping unlocks the gun a bit faster, yet slows the slide down more as it compresses. Does it accelerate the slide in the reverse order, that is, accelerate the slide faster at the begining of its decompression and slows the slide down at the end of its cycle? If so, would it be a better choice for slide recoil management, that is if the above operation of the spring is correct. Would a variable wound spring affect which weight would be recommended? I would be interesed in any thoughts others may have on this subject.

I don't have the answers to most of your questions.  Hopefully I am not sounding like a smart ass, but is the theory behind the spring so important?  Most of us want to find the spring that works best.  The fact is that my favorite spring doesn't have to be your first choice.

Try coming at the problem from another direction.  Find which springs work in your gun.  Then give each one a fair test.  Does the timer show any difference?  Do you like the way the sights track?  Which one feels better?

Is it better to have someone to tell you what should work, or to know through personal experience what does work?  

To perhaps answer your question lets think of the physics involved.  On the initial recoil stroke for example, the basic work of the spring to slow the slide could be measured as force (F) times the distance (D).  A conventional spring of say 10 pounds exerts that force over the total length (distance) of the spring.  A 10 lb progressive spring exerts a little force at first and then increases to its maximum of 10 lbs of resistance.  Thus it seems clear that the "total" slide-slowing work exerted by a 10 lb progressive wound spring will be less than its 10 lb conventional wound counterpart.  In simple terms - MORE SLIDE SLAM.  Thats the math talking, not me.  On the forward (feeding) slide movement the same forces would apply in the other direction.  The total force of the progressive spring is less over its functioning distance, and there is less force exerted at the final portion of the stroke.  Thus - LESS SLIDE SLAM.  But that is assuming that taming recoil is all that mattered.  If the "feel" of the cyclic action were important you would have to compare a slightly heavier progressive spring to a conventional spring to have the same total work (FxD) over the length of both springs to compare "apples to apples" of the cycling feel for the different spring effects.  But how about this- FEEDING!!  Figure there are three phases to feeding a round into the chamber. Stripping from the mag (both types of springs exert their rated force at full compression) so no difference.  At mid cycle hitting the feed ramp the progressive spring starts to fade a bit.  Probably not a problem yet.  But at the critical step of sliding the round up under the extractor and against the breech face, the progressive spring is far weaker.  THAT may be the real deciding factor for anyone!!  I hope that helped, Mr. Huey.

From what I have found (and I have a BIG box of springs) the sights will tell you the best spring. If the dot or sight tracks smoothly and returns to the same point you have got the right one.Of course if for some reason the gun doesn't function this goes out the window.

Bill

Oh don't forget the mainspring too. That will effect the whole cycling  sight travel deal. You pretty much need to get an assortment of springs in the weight range that your gun needs. I have standards that I shoot for practice and whenever I change anything on my gun. It gives me a baseline and I know for sure if something helped or hurt. Just get a bunch of ammo and springs and spend half a day at the range testing different combos.

Bill

• 1 month later...