Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring questions for P-16

Bryon Nobles

Bryon,

Absolutely. Typically, a sharp edge on the rear of the spring tunnel is what chops up the buffs. In a perfect world, the "edge" should be flat, as wide as the material of the tunnel itself, with the edges just slightly "broken," or radiused, but not too much. You should barely be able to see a radius, just so that the edge is not a "knife edge."

be

• 2 weeks later...

i ran a 14# spring in my P16. I changed it out about every 3,000 rounds. I never ran a shock buff, but in this gun. I tried one in a 45 that never functioned correctly until I took it out.

I ran 5.1 gr of AA#2 loaded to 1.160 oal. I never had any frame damage. this load made a 172 pf at area 4.

Mike

I agree with Scooter.  I ve been reading the posts about    spring rates.  And frankly I believe in a 45 with 200 grers a 14 is about as low you can go without smashing the gun.  In a 40 with 180s a 12 or 11 is the way to go.  Anything else is would not be a good setup to shooting fast.  And also with the PF at 170,200 grers in the 45 is what is need.  A good compromise between light and heavy bullets.  You can shoot 185 but that would require a heavy spring like a 15 lb

In the 40 the 200 are too sluggish and 155 or 165 too much blast and more powder.  And a heavier spring.

Remember when Robbie was shooting his long slide in 45 with 230 bullets he was using a 12lb spring.  You can do that with more weight on the slide a slow heavy bullet. You almost have to use a lighter spring than you would in a standard 45.        

IMO.    thanks for reading.