Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which part of the leaf to bend?

myorke

Hi there,

I will be getting back into the game soon and just picked up a SA Trophy Match. (Very purty, BTW)  Anyway, the trigger is *really* heavy and I'm trying to lighten it a bit.  I know it's the far left leaf that needs to be bent (as seen from the rear of the gun) but what I want to know is which part of it is best to bend?  Do I bend the top part, the bottom, the middle?

And yes, I know, "it's best to have a gunsmith do this...yada, yada, yada..."  Thanks for the help!

Mike

The most embarassing moment I ever had in a match was when I ran my gun dry, reloaded, racked the slide, and bang. Of course the problem was the leaf spring had been tinkered with and it was a bit week so I bent it forward (as instructed bu the maker). That lasted about a month, then you guessed it, another slam fire. Bent the spring forward a bit to cure it again. Me thinks there must be a better solution...

You must have a properly fit hammer and sear and the correct main spring to run a light trigger. Most stock hammers are too heavy and will bounce if you try to run the trigger too light. I would not recomend just trying to bend the sear spring without doing the whole job right or you could end up with a story like Ron's. If you don't KNOW how to do this , bite the bullet and take it to a GS! It is money well spent.

(Edited by Singlestack at 12:44 pm on Nov. 30, 2001)

myorke,

Both the center and the left leafs have an important role in the trigger pull. And as SS stated, the hammer and sear relationship is by far the most critical aspect of the overall trigger pull and safety. Having said that, the left leaf controls the pressure on the sear, and if you choose to bend it, bend it from the bottom, so the entire leaf moves. If your trigger has a ton of pre-travel pressure, the center leaf controls that. Always bend any leaf spring by holding it at the top part, and let it bend at the bottom.

be