Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Spring Setup Questions

Ross Chevalier

Hello my friends, sorry for the long absence.  It seems that I actually have to buckle down and work for months at a time... <sigh of chagrin>

So let me start the thread as follows;

Since switching to an SVI Limited gun in .40 from the STI Edge .45, things have improved mightily.  I've moved to B class, my accuracy is more consistent and the times are reduced even if shooter bulk is not.  I'm now ready to start "playing" with the gun.

Mainspring is stock

Recoil spring is now an ISMI 14lb (original was 1 inch shorter than all others any of ?? weight)

Guide Rod is tungsten with 1 x .125 Hiett Red Buff

Could you folks who are willing to comment make some recommendations as to recoil spring weight, mainspring weight etc.?

BTW I did try the Sprinco Tungsten captured guide rod and didn't like it with the 14lb spring, is it better with a lighter spring?

Will adding a Grams tungsten magwell change the cycle feel (current mag well is the stock SV)?

Thanks in advance for the coaching.

Cheers,

Ross

(Edited by Ross Chevalier at 11:28 am on Dec. 8, 2001)

I run a 17-pound mainspring in my Wilson .45. Reliability has been 100 percent. Wolff now makes 16 and 15-pound mainsprings, but I'd stay away from them. I've been told the gun becomes sensitive to just which brands of primers it'll light off when you get down that far.

I am running an SV short dustcover with tungsten rod and magwell.  I use a 15#MS, 10# recoil spring, and 0.090 red buff.  I have not had ignition problems with the small rifle primers in my 40 hand loads.  I really like this spring setup, it is the best feel I have been able to get out of my gun yet.  

Thanks for the first bit of spring feedback, it's already trending towards commonality.  Brian, I understand you use a Grams magwell.  Thoughts, recommendations?  Of course the Enos spring info would also be welcome if you care to share.

My gun is a long dustcover if that is relevant.

Cheers,

Ross

Ross,

I like Bevan's mag well, but I wouldn't say you have to have one. It just softens up the gun a tad, like hanging 5 or 6 ounces onto the gun tends to do.

I run a 12 to 13 lb Wolfe recoil spring, Comonnoli Guide rod, and a 17 lb hammer spring. I never could get used to the Sprinco rod, no matter what the spring rate. Just too much extra bobbling going on.

be

Thanks a lot Brian.  I'm glad the issue with the Sprinco wasn't just me.  I have now ordered one of Bevan's mag wells, as I'm finding the arthritis notices the smack more some days, and the softening wouldn't be an all bad thing.  Thanks also for the comments on the spring weights and the Cominolli.  I assume you use it to reduce the smashing of the frame?  What are your thoughts on the tungsten reverse plug?

Cheers,

Ross

Yes, the Comonnoli rod does soften the slide's blow. I'm not a fan of the tungsten reverse plug, unless you feel you just need to add some weight on the slide. I "tend" to keep, especially with the 170 pf, the slide at a standard weight. While it's true that more mass will initially dampen the recoil, a heavier slide also has to stop, not only when it comes back, but when it returns as well.

be

• 1 year later...