Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyway To Get More Rounds In A .40 Xd?

steel1212

I'm leaning towards these 3 guns: XD 5" tactical .40, Glock 35, MP .40. In that order. Is there anyway to get a couple more rounds into the XD? The glock and I think the MP both can hold 15 rounds of .40 and its not a big deal in production but if I wanted to use it in limited I would be at a major disadvantage with the XD. Is there extensions or a diffrent spring or something?

That's with an extension and spring -- you can buy these as a kit from Dawson, Arredondo, Taylor, etc...About $30 ea.

You don't modify your factory 15-round magazine beyond removing the baseplate, and substituting the new extension. (And swapping the spring).

Some folks over at the XD forum have tried and the most I can remember anyone getting into a Limited legal mag (140MM) is either 15 or 16. Either way you're at a big disadvantage over using a Glock in Limited. Unless SA starts building 40's on the new 45ACP frame the XD will really only be competitive in Production and L-10. Haven't heard of anyone making M&P mag extensions yet but someone might be.

Some folks over at the XD forum have tried and the most I can remember anyone getting into a Limited legal mag (140MM) is either 15 or 16. Either way you're at a big disadvantage over using a Glock in Limited. Unless SA starts building 40's on the new 45ACP frame the XD will really only be competitive in Production and L-10. Haven't heard of anyone making M&P mag extensions yet but someone might be.

Is there a longer mag? I would be happy with 15 or 16 especially if it would fit flush lol. 12 just isn't acceptable to me though and that might push me to the glock even though I'm a springfield fanatic!

To my knowledge the only way to get more than 12 in an XD40 is with mag extension. Even if you mod the follower and spring in a stock mag I don't think you could even squeeze in a 13th round. A stock mag with stock basepad is the only thing that will sit flush.

On the aftermarket front (definitley not flush) one guy was making extensions himself but I pretty sure there's mag extensions available now that make the stock mags 140mm. Check http://www.pistolgear.com , they're a forum sponsor and the owner 'Old School' frequents both this forum and http://www.xdtalk.com I'm pretty he either does stock or is getting in extensions for the XD mags.

I'm an SA fan as well and had an XD40 Tact for a while that I shot in L-10 and Production. The small frame XD's just weren't built with us hi-cap competition shooters in mind.... ;)

Edited by j2fast

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot an XD40 in production. If I had to do it over again, i'd probably be shooting an XD9 tactical. XD's are great guns, but aren't competitive in limited. My advice is pick one category you want to be competitive and then pick the gun, trying to pick one gun to shoot in two categories will just lead to frustration, unless you're shooting just for fun. If you have to be able to shoot both limited and production, a glock 35 is a good choice.

atek3

I believe barsto has a mag extension and The novak will be out soon the have a bigazz mag well already available.

Stupid Brady ban I am sure that is why they built the Xd to except the Beretta mags to begin with.

I carry the Xd sub compact and shoot a 5" tac in matches

Edited by R/T Performance

I believe barsto has a mag extension and The novak will be out soon the have a bigazz mag well already available.

Stupid Brady ban I am sure that is why they built the Xd to except the Beretta mags to begin with.

I carry the Xd sub compact and shoot a 5" tac in matches

I ended up picking up a XD 4" in trade and bought a 5" both in .40. I'll use the .40 for production. The reason I went with .40 was I can shoot limited 10 with it if I so choose and I reload anyway so I can load up some bunny fart .40 loads for production.

The reason the XD-40 (and Beretta 96 for that matter) only gets 12 rounds in the magazine where most other 40S&W pistols get 14-15 is they are both built on built on frames that were originally made for 9mm handguns. Because of this fact the grips internal dimensions are not wide enough to support a proper width 40 magazine. The XD-40 uses magazines that are essentially 9mm magazine tubes with 40S&W width feed lips. This results in a magazine that is not a true double stack.

40vs9.gif

The top half of the picture show a true double stack of 40S&W diameter cartridges in a proper 40S&W width magazine. The bottom half of the picture is what you get when you stuff 40S&W cartridges into a magazine that is the proper width for 9mm double stack, ie what SA has done with the XD-40. As you can see you have a magazine that is not a true double stack and thus is not very efficient at storing cartridges.

IMHO the XD-40 will never be a competitive Limited gun as you will never get more than 16 cartridges within the 140mm length constraint of the Limited Division. I have made several prototypes playing around and have two very reliable 15 round XD-40 magazines. They insert with the slide close and run as well as any of the other factory magazine I have. I think if I made my own follower and stretch them out to 141.5mm (legal USPSA length???) I might get 16 rounds but it would be tight getting it to also be loadable on a close slide.

http://my.stratos.net/~thedump/xd/basepad.html

As a result I have basic decide to stay in L-10 with my XD-40 and have many magazines with extra thick base pads to go with my home made magazine well.

http://my.stratos.net/63/A2/thedump/xd/l10...ited-10_rig.jpg

I would love to see a 40S&W/10mm slide for the XD-45ACP frame. Then the XD line of pistol would really stand a good chance at being a real Limited pistol. As it stand the XD-40 is relegated to Production and L-10.

Rambling

mcb