Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental Laziness?

boo radley

Not sure what to call it -- just venting; granted it was a local, club-level match, but it still rankles, especially because I went into this with the mindset of shooting it as seriously as anything I've shot prior.

Anyway. First stage, and I'm in the zone. It's never happened to me on the first stage of a match before, and I like it. Arrays were covered with no-shoots and hard-cover, and I still shot 'em in type-2 focus, collecting alphas.

Second stage, the "zone" went away, but it was still decent, and so were the next two stages...

Then I get lazy. Did a half-ass job of figuring out a plan, and came up with something preposterous, where I'd take one out three targets, on the move at 15yards, while I set-up for a mover, which I'd catch at the very end of its motion, then clean up the other two targets...Etc. It was moronic, and it was lazy and beyond the skills of my shooting ability.

But because I was having a good day, it seemed reasonable, and it was more fun to shoot the sh*t with another squad member than really take a look at the stage, and *think*.

So I end up being second up, I think, and it all goes to hell. I'm trying to shoot this 15-yard target while running up to the fault line, all the while this mover is streaking across my peripheral vision, and the short version is, mikes all over the place. One of those deals where the stage is over, and you're just hoping for your hits, 'cause what you saw behind the gun was ugly.

While I'm reloading my magazines, furious with myself, I see the next squad member shoot the stage cleanly and easily, in a much more efficient manner that was obvious, had I given even minor attention.

I'm finding you have to let the shooting *happen* in this game, but in stage planning, practice, attention to equipment; in short everything else, I'm not so sure you can try too hard.

One reason why I burnt out several years ago. Except it was all of the work, RO'ng every member in a squad. Then I'd try to "shoot on the fly" without really paying attention to the stage. And RO'ing doesn't allow you to "scope" out the stage.

I'm back and falling into the trap of RO'ing too much. But, now I try to force someone else to do it (helps if you have a good squad with capable people, not just buddies) and seriously CONCENTRATE on the prep needed.

If you can learn to turn it on when needed and on demand, you will have learned a valuable lesson.

Use these experiences to your long term advantage. The lack of focus from working or BS'ing can be overcome and it is closer to what you will experience in bigger matches.

Remember Murphy's Law and be redundant in your equipment & preperation.

Learn to use the force, not be forced.

Don't overlook dehydration and nutrition! I found that if I don't drink a lot of legal fluids and snack every other stage, I space out (more than usual :wacko: ) by stage 5. This is especially true in hotter weather! Also, physical conditioning has a role also. Or, you might just suck :P

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

So true ChuckS, the older you get the more dehydration and nutrition can be a factor.

I have to be careful about using my Liver Cheese Sandwich as a sighting aid.

Vluc is right, I don't think anyone who participates in IPSC can be considered lazy. Driven, obsessed, touched, quirky ... just a few of the ones I've heard. But never lazy.

Edited by pskys2

Well...not lazy, then -- but a moment of mental carelessness. <grin> This is like that damn game, Whack-A-Mole®, in which as soon as you think you've got one aspect working a little bit, something else hops out to bite ya'.

How we learn, I guess. After some retrospect, I'm filing this into the same category as lessons such as, "Well, I know this magazine doesn't drop free, but I'll still use it, but just need to make sure I grab it last...." Etc. A moment of carelessness, or inattention, but that's all that's needed for dire consequences. :blink:

A moment of carelessness, or inattention, but that's all that's needed for dire consequences. :blink:

From fubaring a stage, to missing a target, to breaking the 180...all just a fraction of a second pause from total concentration. Add to that when we think we "have it going" or are in the zone, that's when it rears its ugly little head and bites us on the dupa....U or C or A or GM...it does not care!

I believe too that you can never be too prepared, coz something is always going to happen. But you are coming down too hard on yourself, because it is a game. Sometimes little things from any competition, not just shooting, will leave me stressing for a really long time with all the what if's. It is a waste of your life, time and energy. Do what you are there for. Think of it as the game reminding you to think of yourself.