Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Plated Bullets And Pf Ratings?

Cuz

I've read in more than one location that plated bullets work best when the velocity is under 1000 FPS. Does that rule out the 115 and 124 gr bullets as a viable plated bullet for 9mm?

Both of them need to exceed 1000fps just to make minor before considering a safety cushion in case the chrono is off.

I am also looking for a decent Steel Plate load in 9mm and am wondering whether to go with 115 or 124 gr bullets. They will be strictly copper plated (Berry's or Rainier). Would I be better off with a 147 gr bullet?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

147's with fast powder will make the softest steel load, but slower bullet means slower strikes on the plate. Personally I like heavy bullet steel loads because they kick less and bang quieter.

I ran 124's at major in 9X21 and super for years, never saw too many separations. One nice thing is they splat real nice on steel.

147's with fast powder will make the softest steel load, but slower bullet means slower strikes on the plate. Personally I like heavy bullet steel loads because they kick less and bang quieter.

I ran 124's at major in 9X21 and super for years, never saw too many separations. One nice thing is they splat real nice on steel.

Making Major with a 124gr bullet is a bit faster than I'd want to push a plated bullet. What do you think the minimum PF should be for a steel plate load with a 115 and a 124gr bullet?

-Cuz.

I've used 124gr. and 115gr West Coast (now X-treme) and Berry's plated bullets at 130 PF in my CZ85C. Use moderate crimp to avoid cutting through the copper plating and they should function well. They had acceptable accuracy but were not as accurate as quality FMJ bullets. I've pushed them as fast as 1,200 fps without separation, keyholing, etc.

A moderator on CZ Forum swears by 124gr Berrys hollowpoints and Winchester Super Target for competition.

Chris

I use 135 .40 Rainiers in my open gun. Last time I shot off the bags they put a 3/4" group @25 yards. Those were major loads also. Just watch the crimp.

From Rainers web page:

"Q3. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?

A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,200 to 1,250 Feet per second (FPS)."

Later,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
I am running Berry's 124's at at 1380fps

with no problems.

Ive gone to 1550 fps in my super and 1400 in my 9mm with berrys 124 double struck round noses.

the only time accuracy sucked was in the super which had a shot out barrel.

Harmon

Im have been using the 124 gr. plated bullets at ca 1050 to1100 fps without any problems. I prefer the 147 gr. plated bullets at ca. 900 fps, they seem to be more accurate in my guns and knock the plates over more easilly.

Im have been using the 124 gr. plated bullets at ca 1050 to1100 fps without any problems. I prefer the 147 gr. plated bullets at ca. 900 fps, they seem to be more accurate in my guns and knock the plates over more easilly.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to stay with the 115 or 124 gr because they were a few bucks cheaper. I figure if it's just for plates, why not save the money. That savings alone would cover the cost of powder!

-Cuz.