Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

College Degree Options

Got that bug to get my degree, but am having a few difficulties deciding which way I want to go.

I've been in my career field for about 15 years now and would rather not start over again, but I don't want to be turning wrenches when I'm in my 40's and 50's. Big deciding factor is how high of an education I can get without having to travel 2+ hours to OU 3 times a week. I can get a Bachelors and Masters degree <1 hour drive. Problem is what to major in.

For those who have a degree or got their degree while you were 35+, would a management type of degree be the best option if you don't want to change career fields? I think an Mba is an achieveable goal, but most non-government companies prefer Mba's that are less than 30y/o. Any suggestions? Standard Mangagement degree of go for an Mba?

I'm three courses away from a BSBA - my personal decision was to go for the standard degree, see where I get and then go for the MBA if it turns out to be necessary (and hopefully after I've paid off my BS loans!)

Also, as a +35'er, I'm doing my classes online. You should check out some of those options.

For those who have a degree or got their degree while you were 35+, would a management type of degree be the best option if you don't want to change career fields? I think an Mba is an achieveable goal, but most non-government companies prefer Mba's that are less than 30y/o. Any suggestions? Standard Mangagement degree of go for an Mba?

The BSBM degree is very versatile, and can translate well across multiple career fields. I have found the skills applicable in technical/nontechnical, private sector, and military-industrial arenas.

I was a professional recruiter ("headhunter") and was surprised to see how firms assign value to a degree on a resume. It's not what you think. Just get a degree at a reputable university with a strong alumni network. OU is a great choice.

I also advocate getting a Master's degree, regardless of your age. Having any Master's at all a door opener, and it doesn't have to be an MBA. Check to see if your university has something like a Master's of Science in Leadership and Management (MSLM)...

Kindest Regards

big_kahuna

Few four year degrees actually get you a good job. Exceptions are nursing and some engeneering degrees, etc.

Business, Accounting, Finance and Economics are good general degrees IMO.

For advanced degrees, an MBA from a good (or regionally recognized) school is an excellent choice. A law degree can open doors - even outside of the legal arena.

Some schoools now offer a combo MBA/Law degree - which would great degree IMO.

An MBA is an OK degree. A *skill* plus an MBA is what will truly make you a marketable item. That skill usually comes in the form of a technical degree. This is a far tougher row to hoe than the typical business -> MBA track, but if you have a technical interest that you would like to pursue it's worth it.

Another path is a Patent Attorney, which comes in the form a technical discipline coupled with a law degree. The pay scale is higher and as long as America is run by lawyers, it's lifetime job security with a six figure income.

Few four year degrees actually get you a good job. Exceptions are nursing and some engeneering degrees, etc.

For advanced degrees, an MBA from a good (or regionally recognized) school is an excellent choice. A law degree can open doors - even outside of the legal arena.

That's great and accurate advice, IMO.

I'd only add that while a liberal-arts 4-year degree might not, in itself, get a good job, a Bachelors degree -- *any* BA/BS -- can be of paramount importance when dealing with the dreaded Human Resources Department.

Lack of a degree may completely rule you out, depending on how the job description is written, or will almost certainly have you starting at a much lower salary level. Exceptions can be made, but it's not a battle the hiring manager is going to want to fight.

Edited by boo radley

Another path is a Patent Attorney, which comes in the form a technical discipline coupled with a law degree. The pay scale is higher and as long as America is run by lawyers, it's lifetime job security with a six figure income.

The vast majority of patent attorneys have Engineering degrees from undergrad.

An attorney and an engineer - that's some major geek points!

That's great and accurate advice, IMO.

I'd only add that while a liberal-arts 4-year degree might not, in itself, get a good job, a Bachelors degree -- *any* BA/BS -- can be of paramount importance when dealing with the dreaded Human Resources Department.

Lack of a degree may completely rule you out, depending on how the job description is written, or will almost certainly have you starting at a much lower salary level. Exceptions can be made, but it's not a battle the hiring manager is going to want to fight.

I was thinking about this thread and reading the excellent responses herein... I'd like to submit some ideas from my background as a former corporate headhunter and current engineering manager. This applies primarily to someone that wants to work for an organization, not to the entrepreneur who is going to make his own organization.

Boo Radley and EricW are on the money. A degree is only a door opener, and sometimes needs to be tailored to the door you want opened. Specific technical disciplines (e.g. engineering, medicine, law, accounting, etc.) generally require specific field-related degrees. Other careers are more tolerant of general degrees, and some employers will accept basically any degree from an accredited university. Management, law and accounting degrees are basically held in high regard at companies across the fortune 1000 and Government Civil Service; consequently, these are a safe bet for most people that want security and confortable income. The degree is only a checkbox on most employer's processes in finding someone, and is subordinate to one's work history and references if you are not a 20-something fresh grad.

The degree tells the prospective employer that the candidate:

1. can finish what s/he starts

2. can endure/navigate a convoluted administrative process lasting several years

3. SHOULD have fairly broad exposure to many subjects, and perhaps in-depth knowledge of a few

4. SHOULD be of above average literacy (reading comprehension, writing ability)

5. SHOULD have an alumni network that can be leveraged in support of organizational goals(e.g. sales)

Note that the degree does not tell them about your character and work ethic, summed up in the acronym JJDIDTIEBUCKLE. Character can only be determined cursorily by checking references in your employment history, and only fully understood after they have worked with you for 6 months or more. The acronym stands for:

justice = sense of right and wrong

judgment = ability to choose rightly

decisiveness = ability to make decisions in a timely fashion

initiative = the ability to start work without being directed

determination = drive in pursuit of organizational goals

tact = ability to work/communicate with people

integrity = if I have to explain this, we are in trouble :lol:

enthusiasm = positive attitude in pursuit of organizational goals

bearing = professional demeanor and approachability

unselfishness = placing the needs of others (and the organization) ahead of your own

courage (moral) = taking right action at the risk of unpopularity, ridicule or reputation

knowledge = knowing your stuff

loyalty = to your organization, your division, and your team

endurance = the ability to keep going when others quit

When I was a headhunter we received requirements (called a "preliminary req", sounds like "wreck") from our clients, the specifics of which were fairly quick... I need a computer programmer/analyst with 10+ years of COBOL/IMS/DBDC, the ability to code C/UNIX etc. The REAL requirements (called the "TRUE REQ"), which often took an hour or more to hash out, had to do with compatibility with the organizational culture and JJDIDTIEBUCKLE. I have seen companies completely WAIVE the degree requirements and specific technical skills and hire people solely on work history and JJDIDTIEBUCKLE.

So which is more important, degree or work history? IMHO, degrees decrease in importance as the candidate gets older, unless we are talking about niche executive or technical fields. For the niche fields, degrees are essential door openers or there is no game to play.

Statistically, Bachelor's Degree holders earn more than those without a degree. Master's degree holders statistically earn more than both Bachelor's and Doctorate holders. If money makes you happy (or buys the things/experience/time that make you happy), then a Master's degree is probably worthwhile. The only question left is WHAT FIELD? Pick something you love. If you can't think of something you love, pick something you are at least interested in. If you can't decide, want the most options and don't want to be pigeonholed into a single industry, then I'd recommend either finance or management; these translate well across multiple industries in the private sector as well as government service. Law is a good choice for many industries but not all... some executives/managers fear hiring someone with a Jurisprudence Doctorate, because a disgruntled employee with a JD presents huge risk of hostile litigation.

... I just realized the length of this post... better stop here. sorry for rambling, I could go on for hours...

One of the nice thing that schools are doing is that you can get your MBA with a specialty. I started my career in Software Development before moving into Management so I got my Masters as an MBA/TM (specializing in Technology Management). This way you can bring to the table all of your specific work experience and add to it the MBA skills. Too me this made more sense than just the general MBA. And with the MBA you can also teach if you get the bug to do so :P

Lot of great info from everyone, thanks.

In my particular situation, I'm not really looking to get out of my career field, I'm banking on my exerience plus what the degree can offer me as as way to move on up the ladder and at least get myself out of the elements (indoor job). Don't really want to be a supervisor where I currently work because their nothing more than babysitters and the guys who sign the timecards.

Hopefully I'll be in Civil Service until I retire, but with the way things are now, it's hard to plan even 5 years down the road. That's why I'm looking at the Business Administration degree, it seems to be a fairly broad-based mangagent degree. Thanks again.

If you don't want to drive for miles, you might want to look at distance learning. Several reputable universities offer distance learning degrees. University of Maryland, Strayer University, University of Phoenix, and St Leo University are a few. Take a look at their sites. If you're Civil Service with the DoD, go to the Education Office at your installation, you can find help there.

Liota