Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23

jmicmic

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some loads for a 5" inch gun that are major...but really they should pretty closely mimic 38 super, 38 super comp, 9x21, etc. Yo are trying to acomplish the same thing with same weight bullet. The only diffence that you need to seriously look at is if you are going to use Winchester brass it is considerably thicker than all the rest. I have section of Win9x23, Remington 38 super, Starline 38 supercomp and 9x21. big difference. If you are using Starline 9mmSC then it may be closer to matching..So backoff a known load for super, rechronograph, and see what happens.  Jeff Maass has a resource somewhere listing super loads with most of the current powders, 3n37,n350, sp2 etc. Use small rifle primers and good luck.

• 2 months later...

huey,  i am a little removed from the exact dimentions between the different pieces of brass so i won't be able to tell you exactly the diameters but i will tell you all that I know about the calibers. I have shot and chambered guns for all the above.  9x23 was the first attempt to solve the high capacity problem of stacking 20 rounds in a magazine and then expecting them to feed reliably.  The 9x23 is a tapered case that has a thick web area to better handle the old 175 power factor loads.  The length of the case is the same as a 38 super but the rim of the case does not stick out beyond the web.  CP elite was the supplier of the brass.  Starline then entered the picture and manufactured 9 super comp and 38 super comp brass. 9 super comp brass is very similar to 9x23 in that it is a tapered case.  .38 super comp has the same case head diameter as the 9 super comp brass but the case is a straight case.   So what does all this mean to the shooter?  Most chambers are in .38 super.  Most chambers are big.  Most guns will chamber and shoot all the brass.  The .38 super comp brass is the simplest choice for the shooter that doesn't want to deal with the large rim on standard .38 super brass.  The .38 super comp brass has a small rim due to the strait wall case but it works very well.  Tune your extractor and you will be fine.  tawn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hmmm - 9x23? Would this be an open competition gun with bull barrel and comp or a regular 1911?  Give us a few more details and I am sure we can answer your question.

BTW, there is a 9x23 forum on http://www.pistolsmith.com.  However, I found that many of the posters there do not use the 9x23 in competition and they generaly own 1911-A1 style single stack, bushing barrel guns without compensators or optics. Their take on the 9x23 (which we mostly call the 9Supercomp) is quite different than those of us using this fine cartridge in USPSA competition. Note- I find that their notions are not necesarily incorrect, just motivated by a different purpose.

I put about 2,400 rounds through a 9x23 singlestack carry gun with 16-1/2 pound Wolff variable power spring. Be aware that in a non-comped 1911 the 9x23 in full power loads has considerable slide velocity and can beat the living hell out of your hammer hooks and sear much, much faster than the more moderate .45. My gun started out with a 2-3/4 pound pull. After 2,400 rounds it had dropped to 1-1/2 pounds. Now, it's one thing to START with a 1-1/2 pound trigger pull that just stays there. It's another to have the trigger pull drop 1-1/4 pounds over a few thousand rounds down to 1-1/2 pounds. I was beginning to worry the thing would go full auto on me. Full-power 9x23 in a non-comped 1911 is kind of like running a high performance Porsche. A high performance machine is probably going to require much more frequent maintenance to run its best than your pick-up truck.