Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Or .45 For Single Stack

Putty

45 ACP and 38 Super were designed specifically for John Browning's Model of 1911. Your best and most reliable, headache-free results will be with one of those two calibers. Not that a great gunsmith can't make 40 S&W and 9mm run... A great gunsmith can, but my experience with factory pistols in these two calibers has been less than satisfactory.

I've carried a Colt .45 ACP single stack for years as a duty gun and a back up gun. When it comes to playing I'll use my Delta Elite which now has a Schuemann .40 barrel in it. Not only does it use the ammo I shoot the most (solving one problem) but the feel is more consistant with what I normally shoot. Brass is easier to come by these days as well. I don't have to change the 1050 over to large primers either. I use the McCormick 9 round 10mm mags without a problem. MECGAR's are also good but are real hard and have to be heated to drill holes for the basepads if they didn't come with them. Speaking of single stacks, I put the new SV magwell on the Delta Elite. WOW! I can now make relatively quick mag changes with a singlestack!

Mick

• 1 month later...

i'm going with 9 mm, extra rounds and lot of A's.

lynn

You mean ONE extra round. You can have 9 in a mag, as opposed to 8 in 45acp.

10 in the mag +1 in the chamber :D

lynn

Where are you getting 10rd 9mm mags?

I'm curious as well. I've heard the .38 super mags would work but how reliable are they in the 9?

If .40 was the best, then John Moses would have invented it when he built the perfect pistol.

There were early versions in .40 (.41?) rimless smokeless. The Army wanted .45

Sometimes you just have to give the customer what he wants.

Edited by wide45

• 2 weeks later...
If .40 was the best, then John Moses would have invented it when he built the perfect pistol. B)

not hardly...see how many matches you can win with a 1911 built to john brownings specs...tiny ass sights, spur hammer, no checkering...high and tight ejection port...7 round mags.

the gun needed improvement.

Harmon