Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing

newshooter

Hello as some of you might now i am fairly new to the sport and haven't really practiced only go and shoot the weekly matches. I was wondering if i could practice with my 1911 with a kimber 22 conversion on top. I am a college student right now so money is tight at the moment and i try and save all my bullets for match nights and not practice. Since i have a 22 conversion which is a lot cheaper to shoot reason why i was wondering if it is worth practicing with that. I am pretty sure any practice is better than no practice but just seeing if i really need to use my 40 caliber. I go to pretty much every weeks shooting match and almost all the Sunday steel matches. so all my ammo i try and save for those and not use for practice since i have a limited supply at the time. I just wont your alls thoughts on this. Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Joey

Practice Practice practice if you do it with 22 or 45 ammo JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!

By the way reload as soon as you can it will lower the cost too!!

Good Luck Kevin

I reload already haha. have a dillon 650 spent all my money on reloading and the new sti edge. Sure does get expensive but they say with this sport once you buy it all its all your going to need i hope hahaha.

Joey,

See if your local discount store will cut you a deal on whatever qty of 22 ammo comes in a case (5K?) plunk down your money and get after it. You can probably learn about as much from dryfire, but if you have to go to the range anyway, your gun might as well go bang while you're there. ;)

E

Trigger time is trigger time is trigger time. Shoot all the 22 you want. I shoot about 90% with a 22 and 10% with my reloads in practice. I shoot open so recoil and timing isn't really an issue going from the 22 and going back to my regular loads at the end of the session. I found I can shoot my open gun faster than I can the 22. With you shooting an Edge there will be some timing issues with the difference in recoil but it shouldn't matter that much right now. Just shoot all you can.

The best advice I can give you is learn right now is to see the sight on every shot. Watch them lift up.

Flyin40

Thanks for all the thoughts on practicing with a 22. I figured any shooting is better than none. Sure is cheaper to shoot a 22 then even reloaded 40's. today i shot a a local once a month steel match and decided i would use the 22 which seemed fun. I can say i feel like i can shoot steel better than i can ipsc targets haha. well i guess ill be doing a lot of dry firing and once or twice a week live fire at the range. If school lets me that is. Well thanks all for posting to my question I really do learn alot from this board!!!!!!

Joey

Don't dryfire your 22 :blink::blink: Its not good for it, dryfire your edge all you want, it will never hurt it.

Flyin40

I was wondering if i could dry fire my .22 i haven't but it has been a thought. Only thing that made me thing it would be ok is that its a kimber 22 conversion which seems like it uses a regular style firing pin but flat and of course off set on the slide so that it strikes the edge of the case.

The issue with dryfiring a rimfire gun is this: the priming compound is spun into the actual rim of the case head, so the firing pin must be offset to ignite it.

With an empty chamber, the firing pin is striking the edge of the chamber. This will usually raise a burr sooner or later, which will make chambering rounds problematic. And it's possible to damage the firing pin as well.

• 2 weeks later...
the 22 will teach many things about trigger control and sight alignment...but NOTHING for recoil control.

I would rather dryfire than practice (*ipsc) with a 22..

however shooting steel with a 22 is a blast.

Harmon

I agree this is true in all divisions except open. This gave me the idea to compare the two, my open gun and 22lr in action. I have some video uploading to google right now. It should be ready to post tomorrow. I'll start another thread tomorrow.

Flyin40

It says you're in South Texas. If you're near San Antonio get with the guys at the USPSA matches down there like David Weers. If you're near Chorpus get with Bennie. Farther North? Get with the guys in the Austin area like Scott Reese and Antoine Lane. Shoot with these guys and watch what they do and shoot for practice. You be running and gunning in no time!

Mick

A27257