Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Not Making Minor

randy01

Randy,

even if the Vihtavuori 2006 reloading guide doesn't list N320 loads for 9x19mm with a Rainier 147grs, judging from the following listed load:

147grs HP/XTP Hornady bullet, 3.1 grs N320, 1.142 O.A.L., clocking @ 784 fps in a 4" barrel.

I'd say that your're on the light side of this load.

For reference the same manual lists:

147grs HP/XTP Hornady bullet, 3.9 grs N320, 1.142 O.A.L., clocking @ 978 fps

147grs RN Rainier bullet, 3.5 grs N330, 1.142 O.A.L., clocking @ 893 fps

147grs RN Rainier bullet, 3.8 grs N330, 1.142 O.A.L., clocking @ 942 fps (max load)

all in a 4" barrel.

Edited by Skywalker

I've loaded up some Ranier 147gr bullets over 3,4gr of VV320. OAL 1.14 and I'm only registring 95PF what am I doing wrong.

Grtz

Randy

Based on my own experiences, quite possibly just using your chrono wrong.

i was aware that getting too close could give you high numbers form gas/particulates shot out at high speeds. However, I also found that if you are far enough away to avoid that, but still too close, and the wind is going the wrong way, then you can get artifically low readings especially if your round is smoky.

I learned this chronoing my LS-9 which produces noticable smoke from loads that were fairly clean burning in my fullsize gun. After figuring this out I came out with an average velocity of about 1016. Drifting smoke was causing readings as low as 504fps.