Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa And Idpa

Delta Mike

This thread is for those of you (us) that shoot both USPSA and IDPA. I shoot both, and love both, and this is in no way intended to bash USPSA, it is just my observation.

It seems to me that IDPA (at least where I shoot) is a more level playing field for those of us that choose to shoot a revolver. There are even times when revo shooters have a small advantage in IDPA, for example, we to not have to reload with retention very often, as we only have 6 shots, we just dump the 6 empties on the ground, and go like hell, no trying to stuff unused rounds into a pocket.

There are a handful of guys that I shoot with regularly(bottom feeders) that kick my ass in USPSA matches, and they are amazed that I can usually beat them at IDPA. :D

It makes me wonder why there are not more revolver shooters in IDPA, as it seems to me that this format seems to reduce the superiority of an auto.

Just wondering what you guys think.

Take care,

DM

I shot SSR in IDPA for several years. When they made the rule changes I went into ESR. I shoot USPSA with revolver in revolver division and occasionally an 8 shot in Limited 10.

Now, you state that there is some sort of "Superiority" in one sport with a flat sided bottom feeder over a revolver. Well, I just don't see that.

Both sports are a good time but I actually prefer shooting revolver in USPSA rather than IDPA. I really don't know why I just do. To the point, my IDPA membership is up for renewal. I keep sliding it back on the pile and really can not decide if I will renew or not. I just plain enjoy USPSA revolver a whole lot more.

Both games can be played and played well with modern style hand gun. It is all in what you put into the sport. As for revover being secondary to the flat guns???? I have never come in last ;)

Regards,

DM - I've been shooting SSR since '98, and have always enjoyed it. I'm branching out into USPSA this year, shooting the same guns. I find that the two sports complement each other. I think USPSA is gonna be a lot more fun when I figure out how to break down those 30+ round stages. I expect my IDPA performance to improve because of USPSA, if only because I'll have a lot more practice with reloads. :D

When I say "superiority" consider this. On a 12 round IDPA stage, everybody reloads once. On a 30 round USPSA field course, even a Limited 10 shooter will need only 2 reloads. We need at least 4 or 5 with a round gun. Added to this is the speed at which the relative platforms can make a reload. If I'm running really well, I can do a 2 second reload, but even without practice, I can beat that with a 1911.

I agree that USPSA is as much, or more fun than IDPA, I just wanted to note that IDPA lends itself better to six gunners beating bottom feeders. (sometimes)

DM

As Gary said; "As for revover being secondary to the flat guns???? I have never come in last".

I may have been CLOSE to last, but I don't remember ever coming in last with my revolver (except against other revolvers :P ).

Whether or not one is superior to the other for whatever game the shooter decides to play is a moot point anyway. Although most revo guys like shooting heads-up against everyone else, there are type-specific divisions out there to alleviate the feeling of "my masterblaster 2000 :ph34r: is better than your 625..." etc.

Besides, who shoots revo in IPSC/ USPSA because it's easy? It's not supposed to be.

My $.02.

Delta Mike,

I agree with you but I have been trying to keep it a secret. :lol:

On a 12 round stage the Revolver often has an advantage because they can speed load while moving and many auto's will shoot to slide lock while stationary.

At the local 6 stage IDPA match last weekend I had the best overall score on one stage and was second on another. I have even won overall on a few local matches shooting a revolver. B)

Last year while shooting production at a big local USPSA club I was in the top 10 or 15 overall for most matches that year. Last month I had a good match at the same club shooting my Revolver and was 86th place. :unsure:

I will continue to shoot and enjoy both but my ego takes a real beating in USPSA when the local clubs post overall scores.

I will continue to shoot and enjoy both but my ego takes a real beating in USPSA when the local clubs post overall scores.

Maybe that is the difference, we don't post overall in IDPA.

From the IDPA rule book

Divisions of Competition:

Defensive Pistol is divided into four separate divisions of competition, so shooters using all popular service-type pistols and revolvers will have a place to compete competitively. These divisions are TOTALLY SEPARATE from each other; i.e. STOCK SERVICE PISTOL division shooters compete ONLY against other STOCK SERVICE PISTOL competitors, ENHANCED SERVICE PISTOL division shooters compete ONLY against other ENHANCED SERVICE PISTOL Competitors, CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL division shooters compete ONLY against other CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL competitors, STOCK SERVICE REVOLVER division shooters compete ONLY against other STOCK SERVICE REVOLVER competitors.

So as not to frighten people away, I stick to that when scoring.

Regards,

In IDPA all scores can be easily compared to other scores. For instance: If I shot a match and my final score in ESR is 140 I can easily look at the final results for all other divisions and see how my score compares.

I don't know if USPSA is supposed to post overall scores or not either. I only see it at club web sites.

Last month I had a good match at the same club shooting my Revolver and was 86th place. :unsure:

Yes Bill, but that was 86th out of 136 shooters :P I see you trounced a bunch of Limited shooters as well as a handfull of Open guns. A heck of an accomplishment!!!

Edited by Ron Rodgers

Last month I had a good match at the same club shooting my Revolver and was 86th place. :unsure:

Yes Bill, but that was 86th out of 136 shooters :P I see you trounced a bunch of Limited shooters as well as a handfull of Open guns. A heck of an accomplishment!!!

Ron,

Did you notice who was in 85th place? Sue was pretty happy to see those results. :P

DM,

Just look at the numbers from the last 2 IDPA nationals and you will understand where all the revolver shooters are.................they were run off due to the splitting of the smallest division in IDPA. and we'll just leave it at that please(per Brians rules)

Now for around here on our local matches (IDPA) I usually am the only wheelgunner and have a stray show up every now and then so as usuall it is me against them ;) many times out of a match of 20+ shooters I will be in the top 5 or better and even in the high spot..........not because of gun platforms or any reason of equipment.

I shoot more than most of them combined.........not bragging just stating facts. It is a proven fact that the more you shoot the better you get.....it can't be helped just human nature......some just do better at it, and gain skill faster.

They both are great sports and I recomend shooting both as often as feasable, they complement each other well.

Have fun, shoot straight.

SAM

• 2 weeks later...
Dan,

Both, but mostly ESR.

I just got rid of the GP100 not long ago........already miss it. <_<

will be toying with a 586 in the future.

SAM

Sam,

When you shot the GP100 in IDPA, was it with clips or speed loaders? I'm going to try my hand at it, IDPA first and am wondering if getting the gun modified for moon clips is worth it.

Bruce

Bruce,

Speed loaders.........Comp IIs from Brownells

I did not have it cut for moons, but did have a very slight chamfer just enough to break the sharp edge on the cylinder(so I could easily still shoot 357 ammo in it too)

Nice gun, wish I had it back. <_<

SAM