Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mainspring strength on .38 Super Commander....

Jeffro

Have a .38 Super Commander which just came back from my gunsmith.  I bought it YEARS ago in "garbage condition" and put it away in the safe for "future project".  Took it out recently and had my 'smith go through the whole thing and he really did a great job.  HOWEVER, I have a question.  the mainspring (poundage) is REALLY STOUT.  He says it has to be in a .38 Super.  I don't question his expertise, but later wondered, "Why does it have to be so stout?"  I'm sure many of you folks know the answer.  Will you share it with me????  Best to all........  Jeff

Slide velocity can get pretty ferocious in an uncomped, full-power .38 Super/9x23/etc. and swiftly pound the hammer hooks/sear engagement surfaces. He may feel you need the heavy hammer spring to absorb some of the rearward slide energy through having to cock a heavy hammer - so to speak. Of course, this means you'll feel more recoil.

Thanks for the responses.  The pistol feels fine to fire, and doesn't seem to "nose dive" upon return of the slide to battery, but I am 6'3" tall, 220 pounds, at least average strength for my size,  and have been firing 1911s for over 40 years (yes, I am an old fart), but it takes two men and a small mule train to cycle the slide by hand!  I can do it, but it takes far more strength to cycle by hand than any 1911 I have EVER owned or handled, and that includes a number of .38 Supers.  

When asked, my 'smith (who has built numerous 1911s for me and done GREAT work) says I CAN go with a lighter mainspring, but the gun will last a lot longer with the heavy spring.  He seems to feel that the aluminum framed (older) Commander is not as strong as the newer aluminum and aluminum alloys used in more modern gun frames.   He feels that the old (lightweight) Commanders are good guns to "carry a lot and shoot a little".                         Thanks again,  Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

jeffro,

When you say "mainspring" do you mean the spring that is housed in the "mainspring housing" located in the grip or do you mean teh recoil spring located under the barrel with the guide rod through it?

'cause if you mean the "mainspring", 17# should be just about right.  If you mean the recoil spring, 17#  sounds like overkill in a big way.

Warpspeed,

I mean the MAINSPRING, which is the spring which actuates/powers  the hammer and is located in the MAINSPRING HOUSING, as opposed to the recoil spring which tempers the recoil of the slide.

Jeff

I now have 5 38supers. All different, but I do also have a P13-45 which is commander size. Supers are as follows.

Para Framed NRA Bianchi Gun, Minor PF only. 7-8lb recoil spring.

Para framed Open IPSC and Steel gun. Major and Minor as appropriate to match. 8lb recoil for minor 10lb for major.

STI Full heavy dustcover and std slide for NRA Stock/IPSC Std or Ltd/PPC/ISU Centrefire/APSUA Service pistol. Usually minor with 10lb recoil spring, but go to 16-18lb for major.

Colt Combat Elite used as above but only with minor and for fun and IDPA when we get to it. 13lb recoil spring.

Springfield 1911 NRA gun for daughter. But with alloy comp with shortened / lightened slide. 8-10lb.

All with barrel bushings in the slide.

I use a 17# mainspring for all of the above and all but the open bianchi guns run 3.25lb triggers.

My P13 has to run a 20lb recoil spring or when shooting major the cases go miles.

I would suggest you try a 17lb Mainspring and then check where the loads are spitting the cases. If more than 3-4yards then go to a heavier recoil spring. With out a comp as you get a higher PF load you will have to increase your recoil spring. Keep an eye on the primers and where the firing pin is hitting to make sure that it is not wiping the primer as it unlocks when the pressure is high. This would be the only logical reason for a heavier mainspring. This is to keep the pistol locked longer in an unsupported chamber situation. You have a lighter barrel and slide than a std (govt) size 1911 and keeping the slide locked properly is desirable.

As long as the pistol is working well, don,t change it. But I do prefer the smoother and slightly less creepy feel that a 17lb will give to the trigger.

Let us know how you get on.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the illuminating feedback.  I will explore all the options you folks presented.  I DON'T take for granted the aggregate expertise of all you folks here on this site, nor do I take it for granted how freely you share your wisdom and expertise.

Thanks again,

Jeff