Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring wight? cut to fit? shock buff front, rear?

mgmcaleer

I have a new Kimber .45 loading 230 grn FMJ major PF about 170.  The spring is a Wolf 16lb.  How low can I go, or where to start, and which shock buffs should I start with and what should I look for to change?

Alot of questions.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

If you have a Kimber, it's probably already to go with everything you need.  I'd definitely put in a Wilson Shock-Buff.  As far as springs, I change my recoil spring after every 5000 rounds or so (roughly)  Firing pin spring maybe once a year.  I used STI ambi's on my single stack, but I won a set of Ed Brown's and like them much better because I have big thumbs.  For what it's worth, I was using a springco in my 1911 and liked it, but for kicks, I put my Wilson one-piece full-length guide rod with Shock-Buff back in and now actually like it better, again, personal opinion.  Not being familiar with EVERY Kimber, if yours doesn't come with a magwell, I'd suggest the S&A One-Piece, it's an excellent fit and it holds it's position very well after being blended.  Enjoy    

Only my .02 but 16 lb. sounds about right, you could probably go lighter, if that is something you want to experiment with. Install a Wilson shock buff first, it will help absorb the beating a lighter spring will tend to cause. If buff gets chewed up to quickly ( under 500 rounds IMHO ) your spring is probably too light.           Travis F.

Oh, BTW, you should not have to cut a Wolfe spring to fit unless Kimber has deviated from 1911 specs ( doubtful ). To check, make sure you have the same slide travel with and withou spring.                     Travis F.

mgm,

Have you checked the incredible database of info in the FAQs Technical Threads forum, at the top of the main page? Between the "springs" and "shok-buff" threads you should fine plenty of info, graciously compiled by Erik Warren.

be

I have a Kimber Gold Match that is virtually stock.  I added one Wilson shock buff on the front of the base of the guide rod.  I also just added a 14 lb ISMI spring to replace the original spring that came with the gun, and had shortened considerably.  The spring does come very close to maximum compression with the shock buff installed, but it doesn't go all the way.  I also put in a 17 lb ISMI mainspring, and added a magwell.

The gun works fine with either spring, shooting wimpy 148 PF loads, or Factory 186 PF loads, or 170 PF major loads.

I'm not sure that I can tell enough of a difference with the different springs to say either way whether one is better than another.  As long as the gun works, I'm hard pressed to say I could improve anything, except through more dry firing and range time

Anyway, most people seem to think a shockbuff is worthwhile, and they are very cheap, so start with that.  I don't see why you couldn't experiment with different springs all you want...possibly one of those "spring tuning kits" that contains about 6 different weight springs from Brownell's or Wolff would be the ticket.  But you probably don't need or want to get any heavier than 16 lbs, unless you're going to shoot really hot +p ammo through the thing, and even then 16 lbs would probably be OK.

Feel free to ask any time you want more ambiguous non-help from me

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Quote: from bkeeler on 12:21 pm on Feb. 24, 2003

I run a 10 or 11lb recoil spring 17lb main spring and use the cominolli guide rod, wilson buff works for me. (Kimber Custom)

bkeeler

(Edited by bkeeler at 12:23 pm on Feb. 24, 2003)

bkeeler, curious how much PF you're running on those 11lbs spring?

• 3 weeks later...

YMMV... but I have read that Kimber's slide latch notch is slightly longer then norm therefore one "might not" be able to do a "sling shot" with a shok buff installed.

Here's a post by Dane Burns, there are others in 1911forum.com.

FWIW I do use buffs on my Colt and Valtro, I keep my Kimber Royal I stock.

I use N320 powder 230gr Montana Gold Bullet for a power factor of 170.

bkeeler

Thanks bkeeler. I tried an 11lbs spring on my 1911 SS (not a Kimber, btw @ 179PF) and expected "some magic" with the recoil handling. Instead, I felt like the slide didn't know how it would cycle. The general direction was back but I could feel it wibbly-wobblying back and forth. What I found out, though, from the short time the spring was in, was that when the gun fired the front sight lifted only about half an inch. Once the slide hit the frame the FS jumped almost over an inch from the already raised position. :)