Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super To Super Comp

ZoomZoom

Finding "production" .38 super that'll make major is proving to be difficlut. I found some super comp ammo and understand the advantages I'll get if I convert to it. I also find some people shoot super comp out of a super gun without a problem. Switching extractors seems to cure the guns that won't function with super comp ammo.

So.......

If I go with a new extractor in my Caspian slide gun will I need to mill the breach face?

If I install a new extractor is it any different then the many I replaced in the dark ages [80's]?

Or do I need a smith for that job?

Having depeleted wth bank account getting the gun, it'll take a while before a new 550 is on the way....till then I need to be able to buy major loads.

If the gun is new then there is probably enough tension on the extractor to work as-is.

You won't have to muck around with the breach face. If the existing extractor does not work then get an Aftec (this will require fitting) or a Brazos pre-set drop in extractor for 9mm (same dimensions as .38 Super), click here

Thanks for the quick replies.

AA does in fact have major super @ $245 per 1000 [+shipping].

Brazos has a couple extractors. Thier "drop in" will still need some "tuning".

All I have to do now is decide on whether to stay with a super or go to a super comp.......? :wacko:

Between those two - I'd pick SuperComp every single time. The rimless design is one less thing to cause feeding problems. You're going to be picking brass either way.

As far as the AFTEC goes, in general, they're easy to fit - you usually only have to mode the FP stop slightly to allow the extractor to move properly. I have one in Super and one in rimless for my race gun - either extractor runs both semi-rimmed and rimless brass fine, although ejection is a little bit inconsistent when shooting rimless brass with the regular .38 Super extractor in the gun....