Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bounced Emails Related To IP?

I emailed Authorize.net a tech question today - 5 times with 5 different "from" address - and they all bounced back to me. I called tech and the guy said there wasn't any problem with the address or their server (or he would know about it, he said rather smugly). He also said "it could be a problem with my IP, which I didn't buy. Then I noticed a bounced email from a Maku mozo subscriber had some interesting similarities, to the bouned Authorize email, in the beginning, "error-part" of the returned email.

Can anyone decipher these and tell me if bounced emails could have something to do with my IP?

Bounced from Authorize:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

appinquiry@authorize.net
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<appinquiry@authorize.net>:
host authorize.net.s8a1.psmtp.com [64.18.7.10]:
550 No such user - psmtp

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Bounced email from Maku mozo! subscriber:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

s_stewart@wideopenwest.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<s_stewart@wideopenwest.com>:
host wideopenwest.com.s7a1.psmtp.com [64.18.6.14]:
550 5.0.0 <s_stewart@wideopenwest.com>... User unknown

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

... The similarities in the IP's are interesting...

:wacko:

It looks like the company providing the virtual domains for both of those hosts is having issues. It is however possible that those addresses work from a different source, because you can configure virtual mail domains to behave differently depending on the source of the message. In either case the error is on their side.

It's their problem and DO NOT let them BS you about it. Demand a service ticket be submitted on the problem and escalate to a Tech Supervisor if the first person you talk to does not take you at face value and do as you ask.

Looks like Postini (psmtp.com is owned by Postini, and the server with the suspicious IP) is bouncing them. If that's your anti-spam provider, try bypassing it. It looks like they're set up as some sort of mail intermediary for you (hopefully one you wanted)

Looks like Postini (psmtp.com is owned by Postini, and the server with the suspicious IP) is bouncing them. If that's your anti-spam provider, try bypassing it. It looks like they're set up as some sort of mail intermediary for you (hopefully one you wanted)

shred,

I don't know anything about an "anti-spam provider" or how to bypass them/it if I did?

Since you said "your" - would this anti-spam provider have to do with my IP (EarthLink)?

be

Drat, I was hoping when I said "Postini", you'd say "oh yeah, I installed that last week.." I know little else about exactly what they do besides spam filtering. Have you tried using Earthlink Web Mail to send? If that works, it might point to something closer to your end of the line. Also, can you post the full set of headers for one of them? There might be something else in there.

Postini may be providing enterprise filtering/security to your ISP (Earthlink?) which means it's at your end and the service ticket needs to be submitted to Earthlink because only they can call off postini's hounds chomping your outgoing mail, or postini may be providing the filtering/security at the domains you were sending to. This could mean your IP range may be on a blacklist, or being refused for some obscure reason and only the receiving ISP's can fix that by authorizing psotini to pass mail form that IP/ISP, if they care to that is.

http://www.postini.com/postini_solutions/index.php

On the other hand, if these emails go through tomorrow, chalk it up to the ghosts in the machine and move on ;-)

Thanks for the breakdown G.

It bouned when sent through EarthLink's webmail. And it bounced when sent from my server's webmail (from brian@brianenos.com). So that means the problem has to be on Authorize's end. They'll be getting a call....

:angry:

Thinking a little more on this... If the mail didn't get through from EarthLink and brianenos.com, the chances that Authorize's server/virtual domain would be blocking both accounts would seem to be pretty slim.

Maybe if someone tried sending a test email to

appinquiry@authorize.net

... Just to see if it bounces? That might be fun. Because if it bounces from "somewhere else," I'm gonna really lay some crap on them when I call. (I've gotten the bounced return immediately after sending it, every time.)

;)