Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Divisions

jamgar

Could someone let me know what division my two pistols would be in. I am waiting on my membership application

.45 sigarms GSR 1911 tactical rail 8 round magazine

9mm sig 226 X-five (not the competition or the all-around model)

Thanks for your time

Jim

Jim,

Welcome to the forum! As far as divisions go, the 1911 will probably be at home in Limited-10. I am pretty sure that the light rail eliminates the Provisional Single Stack division. Get some 10 round mags and you are good to go. The 226 would probably be most at home in Production if it is not single action only. Go to USPSA Website and select the RULEBOOK button at the top of the page.

As for why some thing are allowed and disallowed, give the brianenos.com search function a try. There are many long and sometimes emotional discussions about things like light rails and such.

Again, Welcome!

Chuck

Edit: Jim, Loves2Shoot has it. I didn't realize the 226 was SAO. Sorry...

Edit part deux: Jim, you only need to post your questions in one thread. We will find it! :D

Edited by ChuckS

Thanks guys

sorry about the double post

Jim

9mm in limited 10 or limited. correct?

.45 in limited 10 only?

Should I buy a pistol to compete at production division? Would this be advantagous to a newbie

are these pistols IDPA legal?

Jim

Thanks guys

Jim

.45 in limited 10 only?

Should I buy a pistol to compete at production division? Would this be advantagous to a newbie

Jim

No so much the caliber as the action. 9mm is a disadvantage because it scores minor ONLY in Limited or L10, and since it is a single action model 226 it can not compete in production. Your best bet would be to either compete with what you have and buy 10 round mags for the .45 OR get a Production gun (XD, Glock, SIG 226, Berreta 92, ect) and shoot cheap 9mm's in production until you get the hang of it.

More guns is generally better right?

Edit you remove advice that was already given. Strange because when I came into this thread I swear there were no other responses..... :wacko:

Edited by j2fast

Thanks guys

Jim

.45 in limited 10 only?

Jim

I would think you could shoot the .45 in limited, but with either gun you'd be competeing against guys and gals with 20+ round magazines in their guns. Limited-10 would be the place.

As far as IDPA, I _think_ the sig 9mm would be in ESP due to single action and the .45 wouldn't be legal at all due to the light rail. Plus IDPA has weight limits one has to worry about.

I shoot both games and use the same Glock17, holster, and mag pouches. 9MM is cheap to shoot so I practice a lot.

Bruce

Edited by bruce282

Take your 45 to your first shoot. If you are thinking about buying another gun just shoot Limited 10 with the mags you have.

Look at the guns other people are shooting and see what you think you would like the and ask to shoot someones gun. Most people are happy to explain things and make suggestions to new shooters. They are uaually more than happy to let you shoot thier guns also. If you are anywhere in N Fla I will meet you at our monthly shoot and bring some guns for you to try.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I'm about 1.5 hours north of the GA-FLA border on the atlantic coast.

Jim

Then Jaxshooter and I will see you at the Gateway Rifle & Pistol Club in Jacksonville on the second Saturday of the month for the SEPSA match. Look us up and introduce yourself.

If you can't make the SEPSA match we'll see you at St. Augustine on the third Saturday.

I'll be the overweight Puerto Rican strapped to a revolver and with two very good looking kids in tow. ;)

Edited for typos

Edited by Nemo

I am the fat white guy Nemo was talking about. I will bring some guns for you to look at and shoot if you will let us know when you are coming down. I will also bring some holsters, mag pouches and belts so you can see what is available.