Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd Malfunction...

Rikarin

xd9shtr has joined recently and had this question. My XD never had this kind of mulfunction and wondering if anyone can help???

-------------------------------------------

have had my xd for about 6 mos now and no problems until the match saturday (of course). On my last stage my gun had a complete meltdown. Slide locked back, rounds still in the magazine and what appeared to be a live round in the barrel. Magazine would not drop -- I had to forceably strip the magazine from the gun and then rack the slide three or four times. Upon racking I threw a live round AND an empty shell (??). Gun was clean, no problems with any of the magazines, but at practice yesterday the same thing happened a couple of times. I am thinking my ejector is not working correcty, but have not heard of anyone else having this problem. Any ideas? (all the ammo I have used to this point is straight from the factory.)

Patti, I've seen this happen on another XD9. I don't know the resolution. It's basically a failure to extract that then results in trying to feed a live round up underneath the cartridge that failed to extract - at least, that's what it sounds a lot like, anyway.

Time for a new extractor. If she's not comfortable with totally tearing down her slide, I'd recommend a gunsmith or returning the pistol to SA. You have to drive out the roll pin in the slide and remove the striker mechanism, IIRC. And the extractor is sort of a bugger to get in and out.

I had to beg and plead to get SA to send me a replacement extractor, BTW.

Eric - is this a common XD failure?? That's at least three that I've heard of, then....

I sold my XD for a reason...with a spare extractor and full disclosure. Now that I have access, to a wire EDM machine, I almost wish I would have kept my XD. There's a market for a barstock extractor that's properly manufactured.

I posted this over at XDtalk to see what they have to say.

Thanks for all the info guys. I spoke with the S/A rep at H&H Range's open house last night and of course he denied any knowledge of a wide spread problem with the extractor or the rust issues. However, he did e-mail the S/A president and ask that he have some person at S/A personally check on my gun. I am sure having connections did not hurt me in the customer service area. If they do right by me I will continue to recommend their gun, especially for first time shooters with small hands, but I will also make sure that they know about the problems I had also. I wish I could say that I am comfortable taking my guns apart, but I have found it is more fun to shoot than clean and repair, so my darling husband handles those areas of gunning for me!!! (Thanks, babe)

The extractor is a know issue(even if SA doesn't admit it) and has been for several years. It does happen but is not "common" or "widespread". SA will replace the extractor and the gun is back at 100%.

All tools need a bit of TLC sometime.

It's something that has been well hashed out on the HS2000/xD discussion boards.

Edited by Viggen

The extractor is a know issue(even if SA doesn't admit it) and has been for several years. It does happen but is not "common" or "widespread". SA will replace the extractor and the gun is back at 100%.

It's something that has been well hashed out on the HS2000/xD discussion boards.

Oh, I know but my XD was only three months old. I haven't figured up how many rounds have gone through it but I shoot 4 to 6 times a week and typically run 200-300 rounds in a session, so it is not that much. My husband has several Glocks that have seen heaven knows how many rounds through them that function fine. In fact after I sent my XD back to S/A I bought a Glock 17 to use in the interim. Now I am not sure which one I will shoot when the XD comes back.

Oh, I know but my XD was only three months old. I haven't figured up how many rounds have gone through it but I shoot 4 to 6 times a week and typically run 200-300 rounds in a session, so it is not that much. My husband has several Glocks that have seen heaven knows how many rounds through them that function fine. In fact after I sent my XD back to S/A I bought a Glock 17 to use in the interim. Now I am not sure which one I will shoot when the XD comes back.

As I recollect, that FTE issue was not related to having shot a lot of BB's downrange, it just happened - maybe wrong tension or tempering, or something, with some batches of extractors.

OK, so the gun chocked up a bit. It happens. Every piece of equipment that is used a lot is going to show it'w weakness somewhere, if there is one. If there is no weakness, something will wear out. Because a part needs replacing isn't a reason for dumping a particular gun - IMHO. I mean, look at the high end Open and Limited shooters and their guns - they need serious help from gunsmiths to keep them running.

As to Glocks, yep, they are pretty reliable but stuff breaks on them too.

As to which gun to run when the XD comes back - just pick one or alternate. Your choice.

You will figure out which is your A gun and which is your B gun.

I'm not trying to start a battle here, but if the ignition switch on my truck breaks, I don't have to ship it back to Detroit at my expense to have it repaired.

I shudder to even go into the need to request "special" treatment from the service facility in order for shooting a manufacturer's gun in competition to be a practical reality. Someone may be happy about their gun going to the front of the line, but that means that Joe or Jane shooter had their gun run to the the back of the line.

Nobody in business wants to solve the root cause anymore. If you're a manufacturer, and you're getting your product back in droves, what do you do?

i) Stop selling broken product

ii) Expand your service department to handle the warranty issues in order of submission in a timely fashion - while taking corrective action on (i)

iii) Spare customers the time and expense of having a downed product and sell them the spare parts they need....while working on (i) and (ii)

or....

iv) Refuse to admit you have a problem. Refuse to sell spare parts. Grease the squeaky wheels, and continue right on with business as usual.

Every manufacturer has problems. It's how you handle them that counts. Sorry for expressing my frustration with this, but I just gave a version of this sermon yesterday to a customer. All I got were blank stares in return.

Edited by EricW

I'm not trying to start a battle here, but if the ignition switch on my truck breaks, I don't have to ship it back to Detroit at my expense to have it repaired.

I shudder to even go into the need to request "special" treatment from the service facility in order for shooting a manufacturer's gun in competition to be a practical reality. Someone may be happy about their gun going to the front of the line, but that means that Joe or Jane shooter had their gun run to the the back of the line.

Nobody in business wants to solve the root cause anymore. If you're a manufacturer, and you're getting your product back in droves, what do you do?

i) Stop selling broken product

ii) Expand your service department to handle the warranty issues in order of submission in a timely fashion - while taking corrective action on (i)

iii) Spare customers the time and expense of having a downed product and sell them the spare parts they need....while working on (i) and (ii)

or....

iv) Refuse to admit you have a problem. Refuse to sell spare parts. Grease the squeaky wheels, and continue right on with business as usual.

Every manufacturer has problems. It's how you handle them that counts. Sorry for expressing my frustration with this, but I just gave a version of this sermon yesterday to a customer. All I got were blank stares in return.

You will not find any disagreement on my part.

SA has a real problem with the parts thing. I guess they figure they can sell all they make anyway.

Something that makes Glock such a strong contender, other than reliability, is parts availability - and they are low cost. That's the way it should be.

For what it is worth, it is my understanding that the XD is a Croatian design & product that Springfield is marketing/distributing in the US. Is it possible that the Croatians do not want to or can not supply vast amounts of parts to the US because of their exportation laws. I am sure Springfield management is aware that lots of people are complaining about switching to other guns. In the 70's it sometimes took 2 months to get a part for a Japanese car because there was more profit in selling a whole car than in the parts. Sure people complained, now most of those cars are made in the US and people have forgotten all about the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. I won't buy any thing made in VietNam either.

My understanding is that there might have been a bad batch of Extractors, that unfortunately all manufacturers can go through. SA fixed mine for no fee while I waited at their office :lol: . If you need to send the gun in for Warranty work they will fix it free as well. That malf was the same thing that was happening to my gun until the tip broke off.

I also think from my conversation is that they dont have a mountain of parts available for sale right now due to most of the parts being made are going into the production guns as they are selling as many as they can bring over right now. They have some parts for repairs/warantee work, but dont have enough on hand to sell to everyone right now.

I am going to keep my XD and shoot it! ;)

DougC

Yeoww! Didn't mean to offend anyone. And again, if S/A will do right by me and my gun then I don't have a problem recommending them to anyone. I have gotten a lot less service from a lot larger manufacturers on much more expensive products that my little XD. (Having worked in the legal field all of my adult life, I really didn't want or need them to admit liability or fault -- just to fix the problem.) You guys gave me the information I needed to facilitate a result. I am all about the end result -- and this forum has been extremely informative and helpful -- and for that I thank you all. (And hope I may be able to return the favor sometime!!)

Did you check to see how tite the chamber is I have owend four Xd's in 40 cal. One chamber had so much coating it would jam every few cases .Little polishing on the throat and it ran 100% since.

I have had some other issues but S.a. took good care me 1.5 weeks door to door for a cracked locking block and one free armory coat.I will buy any used ones if you want 300 towards a Glock LOL

Did you check to see how tite the chamber is I have owend four Xd's in 40 cal. One chamber had so much coating it would jam every few cases .Little polishing on the throat and it ran 100% since.

I have had some other issues but S.a. took good care me 1.5 weeks door to door for a cracked locking block and one free armory coat.I will buy any used ones if you want 300 towards a Glock LOL

tee hee hee -- that's a good one -- the guys at the gun shop are teasing me unmercifully about going "over to the Glock side". I really miss my XD though so who knows -- you know how fickle us girls can be! lol

• 1 month later...

Dear xd9shtr

Please let us know how this works out and how fast SA takes care of you.

It's not that new guns shouldn't have an occasional problem but how well the mfg takes care of it and you.

I have my personal SA tale that I will share at a later date I don't want to prejudice you.

Lets just say they were much,,,, slower than other mfg I have had do warranty work on new guns. Hopefully I was an exception.