Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ss Magazines Fragile?

boo radley

I've been shooting my .45 SS lately, with 8-round mags, practicing some IDPA stuff, etc., and am going crazy with the magazines getting "damaged" and somehow no longer dropping free, or even releasing, when I hit the mag release button.

I'm not really abusing them, but they're occasionally dropping on gravel, or my concrete garage floor. The magazines are a mixed bag of (almost new) Chip McCormick and MegGar.

I have *never* had this kind of problem with my McCormick Power-10's that I use for L10, despite much more use and abuse. I'm tempted to toss the 8-rounders in the trash, and spend the $$$ for Tripp or Wilson, but don't want the same thing to happen. Are 8-rounders in inherently fragile? This makes no sense. Thx

It's not how many rounds, it's who makes them. ;)

+1 I've got McCormick Shooting Star mags that are more than 10 years old that still work fine. I usually use them for practice sessions because I don't like to get the 10 round CMC Power Mags dirty. When I do reload drills I take along a couple of rugs to drop mags on.

I like a single stack mag with a follower that wont slide foreward when the last rounds is stripped from the mag...that means i dont like chip mccormick mags.

The only time the drop free 100 percent of the time is when ammo is still in them....

I would go ahead ad buy the Tripp mags...probably the best SS mag you can get.

harmon

I use Wilson 47D magazines with the .650 rubber base pad. Never had a problem with them

I like the wilson's also but I am not sure if the .650's will fit in either the IDPA box (6" tall) or the IPSC (150 mm tall) box in a Government model size 1911.

I use Wilson 47D magazines with the .650 rubber base pad. Never had a problem with them

I like the wilson's also but I am not sure if the .650's will fit in either the IDPA box (6" tall) or the IPSC (150 mm tall) box in a Government model size 1911.

Thx all -- some good information...

Ended up buying a couple KimPro Tac mags, since they come with different base-pads, teflon-coated follower (for what that's worth), oh, and rocket-grade wire springs. :)

Anyway. I don't shoot much IDPA, but would like to shoot a State match in the Fall, and don't want to worry about the pistol not fitting in the box.

I'm going to load up the other mags with dummy rounds, and pound 'em with a mallet, and see if that fixes the problem.