Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dies For 45acp

rgkeller

• 2 weeks later...

Dillon dies are good....in fact, I use the Dillon 3-die carbide set in .45 ACP. I use Lee for everything else, and the Factory Crimp Die eliminates the step of putting the finished ammo through a case gauge. As far as I'm concerned, it's Lees from here on, because they do just as good a job as Dillon dies, for half the price. I've also adopted the RCBS Lock-Out die in 45, because of the small amounts of flake powder I use- prevents squibs. Since I use a 650, very little chance of an double-charge.

Getting a 650.

Which dies should I buy? Load lead and jhp for IPSC, defense and bullseye.

Mostly for IPSC, Clays and 230 lead.

Thanks.

If yopu are loading lead bullets then purchase the Dillon bullet seating die as an absolute minimum. Lead bullet shavings and lube have a tendency to crud up the inside of the seating die. With the Dillon one can readilly disassemble, clean and rerassemblke without having to readjust.

Getting a 650.

Thanks.

When I bought my 550 a whle back, I bought Lee carbide dies, just because that was what was available. I later added the FC die. They have functioned flawlessly. Usually, I find that inexpensive equals cheap. In this case, I haven't found it to be true. The Lee sizing die sizes farther down the case than the tapered Dillon, and I don't have any problem getting cases to feed into the die. I load lead almost exclusively, and I have no problem with lead/lube buildup in the seating die. I would probably buy Lee dies again.

Edited by epj

Having had both Lee and Redding dies, I would say just go with Lees for practical shooting/plinking. I like my Redding dies, but I’ve had to clean up all the threads on two sets to be happy with them. In addition, the round locking collars on the Redding dies are a PITA.

I am also very fond of the Lyman M expander dies, which have a two step expander.

• 3 weeks later...
Getting a 650.

Thanks.

DILLON DIES WITH A LEE U DIE IN THE SECOND HOLE AND CRIMP WITH A LEE FCD.

I USE THE DILLON SIZER IN THE #1 STAGE (YES I SIZE TWICE, THIS I LEARNED

FROM LOADING 40S&W AND 38SUPER). LESS THAN 1/1000 WILL NOT GAGE IN

ANY OF THOSE CALIBERS

For .45 ACP on a Dillon press, I would recommend the Dillon dies all the way. After you get going with the setup you can look at a different seating die if you think some bling is nice. But for plain old everyday use, the Dillon die set is hard to beat on a Dillon press.

• 2 weeks later...

+++1 on the dillon dies they have worked great for me and easy to clean! Not sure if any other dies are the same but on the seating die i like how you can flip the seater from a Rn bullet to a wadcutter. Great idea there i think..

Joey