Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clint's Wrist Strap In For A Few Dollars More

ExtremeShot

I grew up idolizing all of Clint Eastwood's westerns. It was actually these movies that got me interested in shooting.

Anyway, the other day while I was working on my lathe I decided to throw one of his movies in to listen to in the background. I happen to turn around during one scene where the bad guy throws Clint's wrist wrap (see attached picture) back at him and tells him to put it on. ...Clint had taken the wrap off so the bad guy (forgot his name) wouldn't know he was a bounty hunter. There are also several scenes at the beginning of the movie where you see his wrist strap.

So this got me thinking about their use of the wrap to symbolize that he is a fast draw/great shooter/one to be feared? Why would a wrist strap symbolize this? What purpose does the wrap serve other than to maybe keep his hand and wrist straight and prevent bending? If this is the only purpose it serves, isn't it funny how they use the wrap to identify him as a bounty hunter and symbolize his great shooting ability?

DM

<_< is this the same the tread that we can decide if Mighty mouse's -Cape- is longer than Supper mans 'Cape' :D

Sorry :unsure: Im actting like my self again- ...I have no idea why the wrist starp thing ? I think it may be like = Sandra Lockart being in his movies and we are suposed to think she looks great... = It makes no sence at all-

Sweat band?

Anti-snag?

Clint Eastwood is to kool - and tough - to sweat. Only his adversaries sweat! ;)

Maybe it is woven from copper and used to ease the aching of his muscular and steel sinewed wrists, tired from yanking out his trusty hogleg and cutting down his innumerable foes.... :o

Nah -- gunfighter's cheat-sheet.

In fact, to this very day you can see something similar on the wrists of some NFL quarterbacks.

Clint's probably reads something like:

"Padre- gr8 1st sht, Bware holgun

SF tuff town, gd jzz!

THINK--ask re: chimps!!!"

The wrist band has a loop in it, that goes over the thumb. This makes a protective flap, behind the web of the thumb and forefinger.

IF the single action revolver has a large hammer, to help with fanning or thumbcocking, sometimes, if the shooter grips too high on the grip, you can get a nasty bite taken out of the web of the hand, while trying to do some quick draw and fanning or slip shooting.

The hammer spur on a Colt's Single Action Army does have some sharp edges on it. And some of the replicas, like the Uberti's, J.P. Sauer and the Great Western's had some long hammer spurs to help with thumbcocking.

Ed McGivern's "Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting", Section 8, pages 98 and 100 have some photo's that show what I'm trying to describe.

Cool. This was the type of explanation I was looking for. Thanks!

The wrist band has a loop in it, that goes over the thumb. This makes a protective flap, behind the web of the thumb and forefinger.

IF the single action revolver has a large hammer, to help with fanning or thumbcocking, sometimes, if the shooter grips too high on the grip, you can get a nasty bite taken out of the web of the hand, while trying to do some quick draw and fanning or slip shooting.

The hammer spur on a Colt's Single Action Army does have some sharp edges on it. And some of the replicas, like the Uberti's, J.P. Sauer and the Great Western's had some long hammer spurs to help with thumbcocking.

Ed McGivern's "Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting", Section 8, pages 98 and 100 have some photo's that show what I'm trying to describe.

Edited by ExtremeShot

So, it's kinda like the bandaid on the middle knukle of your "Bird" finger when you shoot

a Glock.

:P:P:P

It's called a "roping cuff." Like the name suggests, it was to protect from rope burns when using a lariat. I can make you a set if you want, all I need are your measurements at the wrist and 6" up from the wrist.