Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti .40 Trojan?

JBOGGS

I have had 3 in .40. One I bought new and traded it off without every firing it. One had been sent to Virgil Tripp and hardchromed and had the feed ramp touched up when I bought it. Worked flawlessly from day one and never stuttered. I used 8 round STI mags in it and they worked well. I ended up trading it off for an Open gun. I picked up another in a trade and sent it to Vigil Tripp for the same treatment. I am shooting it now and it has performed very well. I use Tripp 9 round .40 mags and they work perfectly with 8 rounds loaded but will not feed the top round some of the time when loaded to 9. I have not owned any other single stack .40s so I can't comment on them in relation to others. I believe them to be a good value for the money they cost. Of course - YMMV... :)

My first SS is a Trojan .40. Modifications done are - replaced the single safety to ambidextrous, added a mag well and hard chroming. Its now 6 1/2 years old and still working perfectly. No mod done on the ramp and loads perfectly from factory loads (OAL) to 1.230 lead 210 grainers. I use Mc Cormick mags. Finished without a hiccup last SS nationals at Barry and the last 5 years were also the same. Its a good gun and with a good price considering the semi custom features. They say that Trojans has a lot of problems, but I didnt encounter any of it yet. Good Luck!

Jay,

I do recall some past posts where people were having some issues. I think STI was aware of them and might (likely?) have addressed them.

I wonder if a call to STI would get them to tell a guy what was up?

Well my lucky of the draw wasn't to good. I should of sent it off to Mr. Tripp to have him work on it for various improvements for me including getting it to work with regular 10MM Mags where I can load the .40 long. If I try to use 10MM Mags I can not insert them all the way. Is Mr. Tripp still doing pistolsmithing? If so good as he has supervised some good work for me in the past plus plating the Nowlin and Kimber I sent him.

Well my lucky of the draw wasn't to good. I should of sent it off to Mr. Tripp to have him work on it for various improvements for me including getting it to work with regular 10MM Mags where I can load the .40 long. If I try to use 10MM Mags I can not insert them all the way. Is Mr. Tripp still doing pistolsmithing? If so good as he has supervised some good work for me in the past plus plating the Nowlin and Kimber I sent him.

Gary,

I have a Les Baer .40 that wouldn't work worth a darn until I sent it to Mr. Tripp this past spring. It now runs like the wind [even if I don't], as long as I load to 1.19-1.20 OAL. I also use his 9 and 10 round mags. They work perfectly, and the 9 rounders will hold 9, if you want them to [iDPA?]. I did have to send some of both [9's and 10's] back to him, but he replaced them imediately. Re the pistolsmithing; he has a "standard" fix for altering the geometry of the feed ramp on single stack guns to prevent nose diving, as long as the magazine does it's part. I've been shooting SS all year with it, and can't imagine going back to a .45. Give him a call. You'll be pleased.

Tom Worthy

Gary,

I have a Les Baer .40 that wouldn't work worth a darn until I sent it to Mr. Tripp this past spring. It now runs like the wind [even if I don't], as long as I load to 1.19-1.20 OAL. I also use his 9 and 10 round mags. They work perfectly, and the 9 rounders will hold 9, if you want them to [iDPA?]. I did have to send some of both [9's and 10's] back to him, but he replaced them imediately. Re the pistolsmithing; he has a "standard" fix for altering the geometry of the feed ramp on single stack guns to prevent nose diving, as long as the magazine does it's part. I've been shooting SS all year with it, and can't imagine going back to a .45. Give him a call. You'll be pleased.

Tom Worthy

Thanks, but I went to the Tripp Research Site and found Mr. Tripp is not doing anymore pistolsmithing since 6/1/06 so it's our lost. They are just doing plating and mags now. I too have a Baer I would like to get some work done on including plating and it would be nice to get it all done at once at one place that I know is good.

Gary,

Tom Worthy

Thanks, but I went to the Tripp Research Site and found Mr. Tripp is not doing anymore pistolsmithing since 6/1/06 so it's our lost. They are just doing plating and mags now. I too have a Baer I would like to get some work done on including plating and it would be nice to get it all done at once at one place that I know is good.

That's REALLY too bad, because he is the only one that I know of that seems to understand the problem. It might be worth calling him, as this is kind of a "repair".

TW

post-1541-1153257701.jpgI just picked up a Trojan .40 and let me tell you, this gun is better than I imagined. I won't tell you what I paid, but I got it used and it was a sweet deal. Using the 8 rd mecgar mags that come with it it has run every round I put through it. From factory length to 1.20 long. Frame to slide is better than some custom guns I have felt. Barrel lock-up is perfect and I just love this gun. I have added a S&A magwell, a shorter trigger, an extended mag release, and will be putting ambi-safties on it. Did I say that I REALLY like this gun. A very close second to being the nicest 1911 I have ever owned. The first was a Les Baer, sold it to get into IPSC shooting. That gun was almost to nice to shoot. But if this Trojan had checking on the front strap, it would tough not to say that this is the nicest ever.

My crappy pictures don't do it justice.