Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the past I would take a picture and go into Adobe photoshop to change the image size which would change the file size. An example would be that the raw file would be 2272 X 1704 and these files would be 1.5 to 1.65 MB. I would click on image in photoshop and then on image size and adjust to 700 X 525. This would take this file size down to less than 50 KB.

Now with the camera on the same settings I get another raw picture of 2272 X 1704 but when I change it to 700 X 525 I get a file size of 375 KB.

My question is how to get a 700 X 525 for image size but get the file size down to 75 KB or so?

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Could be a number of things. Make sure your output file type is set to jpeg, that you are going with a lower resolution (72dpi) instead of 150-300, etc. Check your jpeg output settings as well to see if you are saving as a max or high quality jpg or just medium to low.

John

Thanks for the quick help John. Again both photos started as the same size and they are reduced to the same image size but file size is drastically different.

I confirmed that both are jpeg. In Adobe photoshop I only saw ONE jpeg to select from when I hit save as. There wer not different levels of jpeg available that I could find. Any ideas where this might be in the program? Where are the jpeg output settings? Thanks,

Rick

I looked and found that pixel resolution was set to 72 per inch on both images, but the files were drastically different in KB size again.

Thanks everyone for the quick read and fast responses. Even though I am embarrassed to admitt it, the real answer is to not let your wife use your camera. She selected a different size picture size. Instead of 2272 X 1704 the originals were starting off as 1600 X 1200 so when they both went to 700 X 525 the more drastic file size change was with the larger file to begin with.

Yes, I should look more before I start to type. Sorry for my simple mistake, but thanks for the help guys.

Rick

Glad you fixed it - and for the rest of youse, if you're using photoshop on a pc, you have to use "save to web" not save as in order to get the .jpeg settings.

Nope, sorry ---- at least in PS CS, after you click on save in the initial "Sava As" dialog, you get another dialog menu with choices for different .jpg compression levels and format options. After you make your selections, if you wait a moment before clicking on save, an info line at the bottom calculates image size and upload times of the finished file.....

Glad you fixed it - and for the rest of youse, if you're using photoshop on a pc, you have to use "save to web" not save as in order to get the .jpeg settings.

Save as is a much better way to save then Save To Web.... Save To Web really affects the quality of the picture.