Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division

Vince Pinto

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take the situation of a stage that requires that you start with an empty gun. You are competing in Production. You insert the mag, and rack the slide. Are you going to start firing, or are you going to drop the hammer so that the first shot is double action, as the rule now requires, then start firing?

Guys, you need to read the latest edition of the rules.

There's no penalty if you draw your gun in Production, pull the trigger as a double action shot, but rack the slide due to a faulty first round and actually fire the first shot as single action without firstly decocking.

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 6:44 pm on Feb. 18, 2003

Guys, you need to read the latest edition of the rules.

There's no penalty if you draw your gun in Production, pull the trigger as a double action shot, but rack the slide due to a faulty first round and actually fire the first shot as single action without firstly decocking.

Does the latest edition of the rules apply to USPSA?

(Edited by muser at 8:59 pm on Feb. 18, 2003)

I'd be all for any changes to Production that remove any possible restrictions, within reason and safety. Shoot any non-SA only pistol, any way you decide to in Production......

You should be able to decide whether to draw and rack your slide to chamber, or start loaded, hammer down, hammer cocked and locked, or any combination there of.  Its up to you to decide which pistol to shoot.

My reasoning? Production is supposd to attract new shooters to IPSC and USPSA......   a new shooter shows up for his first IPSC match, but is told :

"oh no, you can't do that.. you have to do this.... oh, thats a penalty........  whoops, you're DQ'ed.......... wow, that might make tactical sense, but this is USPSA / IPSC.......   uh, you're going to really shoot that old Taurus thay way? If you do thats another penalty....

oh, sorry, CZs must start hammer down, even though technically Glocks start cocked; what do you mean that doesn't make sense? Its in the rulebook..."

You get the idea. Every time we dictate one more thing that the competitor MUST do, it sends shooters packing for another sport.  Sometimes I think its a wonder we get any new shooters at all!

Streamline the rules within the Divisions without much thought to "leveling the playing field" between guns, let competitors decide which gun works best for them, and how to shoot them, and get on with the shooting. And if thats starts an "equipment war" of everyone going out and buying the most "competitive" Production gun, then shame on you..... this is supposed to be the Division to get started in, keep cost low, or become a Master using your real world "carry" gun of choice. But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong