Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sweeping

xcount

Xcount,

It sounds to me as if your refering to unsafe gun handling rules IE. getting Dq'd if you sweep yourself with an unloaded gun.

Therefore,  I beleive the rules state that if you sweep yourself iduring the load and make ready phase or while rehostering after unloading and showing clear you can expect a warning from the RO.  If you sweep yourself during the course of fire you can be DQ'd.  I don't have my rule book with me but that's how I remember it.

Sweeping at anytime is a DQ offence, subject to the following exceptions:

Rule 10.3.7 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor's body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping) other than while

drawing or re-holstering.

Vince:

How about sweeping the RO when a competitior loads or reholsters after showing clear? I have noticed that some of the forward cant carry holsters being used in production cause the pistol to be aimed at the lower extremities of the RO from time to time.

In my mind this is one of the contradictions of the rules. The bullet that may get you on the draw or reholster and be legal, is just as painfull as the one you get opening a door and sweeping that hand, which is illegal.  I agree that pointing a gun at yourself is not desirable, but it is your body!  These are absolutes, it is either safe or unsafe, not  with qualifying exceptions.  You can't be a bit pregnant!

As an RO you don't put yourself where the competitor may point a gun at you, if they do, early bath!  If it is the RO who body sweeps the muzzle, he is not doing things right.  He may need an early bath!

DVC.

Barry

OK, here's my point, we allow gear that has the potential of getting the RO shot in the family jewels (literally) if he stands behind the competitor on the strong side. Traditionally, this is where the RO positions himself on the buzzer. I simply stand on the left side of the competitor. A forward cant holster, especially behind the point of the hip will violate the 180 every time the competitor draws.

I am not interested in a philosophical debate because we all know that everyone is responsible for safety. What I want to know is how do IPSC rules specifically address this issue? I suppose I could write to John, but I thought Vince or one of you folks might know the "legalistic" answer.

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 12:30 pm on Feb. 21, 2003

Sweeping at anytime is a DQ offence, subject to the following exceptions:

Rule 10.3.7 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor's body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping) other than while drawing or re-holstering.

Vince, my rulebook states "Allowing the muzzle of a LOADED handgun....." under 10.3.7. Is this one of the changes in the new IPSC rules?

Brian,

Yes, we removed the word "loaded" in the latest version of the IPSC rulebook.

This arose from a case where a competitor had a squib load and, believe it or not, looked down the muzzle of his gun during a COF to see if his barrel was blocked.

Although he had removed his magazine and locked back the slide was irrelevant. Seeing a competitor peer down the business end of his gun during a COF is not a pretty picture and has no place in IPSC.

Quote: from Ron Ankeny on 2:01 pm on Feb. 21, 2003

Vince:

How about sweeping the RO when a competitior loads or reholsters after showing clear? I have noticed that some of the forward cant carry holsters being used in production cause the pistol to be aimed at the lower extremities of the RO from time to time.

I think the rule regarding Holster angles covers this.  

5.3.6 Competitors shall not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:

5.3.6.4  A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing farther than 1 meter from the competitor's feet while standing relaxed.  

Additionally if you Sweep an RO chances are you just broke the 180.

kaiserb:

Thank you very much. I missed the rule when I looked in the book.

Vince has a good point. One could argue that an unloaded gun does no harm. I suppose a couple of guys could sit around and play Russian Roulette with an unloaded revolver and no harm would come of it. So, which one of you wants to go first?.

Quote: from Ron Ankeny on 8:24 am on Feb. 22, 2003

Vince has a good point. One could argue that an unloaded gun does no harm. I suppose a couple of guys could sit around and play Russian Roulette with an unloaded revolver and no harm would come of it. So, which one of you wants to go first?.

Ron

Good one. Its "unloaded" right?

We have had plenty of people killed locally doing that.

I know the rules. But refuse to budge a bit on common sense gun handling safety.

Kind of scary we have to write rules for people who look down their barrel during a course of fire. You know it might be a good example of "culling" the herd though. Just Kidding?

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 11:14 pm on Feb. 21, 2003

Yes, we removed the word "loaded" in the latest version of the IPSC rulebook.

Vince, I completely agree with that rule change. Although, it sure would be nice if everyone used a little good old-fashioned, 'common sense'.

So in answer to the original post, "sweeping with an unloaded gun" is a DQ under IPSC rules, but NOT a DQ under USPSA rules. Agreed?

Brian,

If we could rely on commonsense, the rulebook would reduce by 60%, as would most of our respective national laws.

Sadly the majority of rules (and laws) are written for a minority of damn fools.

And yes, you are correct that sweeping with an "unloaded" gun is a DQ offence under IPSC rules but not (yet?) under USPSA rules.

However given the fantastic work all of us achieved together in Orlando recently, I believe the gap between IPSC and USPSA rules has narrowed by such an extent that it's possible, by this time next year, for us to have a common rulebook.

No guarantees, but the signs are very, very positive.

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 10:31 am on Feb. 22, 2003

However given the fantastic work all of us achieved together in Orlando recently, I believe the gap between IPSC and USPSA rules has narrowed by such an extent that it's possible, by this time next year, for us to have a common rulebook.

No guarantees, but the signs are very, very positive.

Whoohoo!