Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Tell Starline Super From Comp

Azone41

I have picked up quite a bit of starline brass marked 38 super on the headstamp. My question is does starline mark the super comp different. If not how can you tell the super from the comp. I have never bought any starline I have always bought rem/win.

Ap makes Super comp and regular brass - and with the Starline Comp

brass you can set it in the case check gauge base first and it will set in to the gauge.

The TJ brass is great = it has the same head size but bigger lip for the extractor.

Watch out for the starline 9x23 Comp It may mess you up sometimes.

Starlines brass for the 9x23 is stamped "9 super comp".

Rich

or '9x23 Comp', in more recent batches. Old AP brass is the only one I know of that's stamped the same rimmed and rimless.

Lacking a case gauge, the easiest way to tell rimless from rimmed (until you can just pick them up and tell), is to find a fired .40 case. Rimless Super brass of all kinds will drop base-first into .40 brass, rimmed won't.

Lacking a case gauge, the easiest way to tell rimless from rimmed (until you can just pick them up and tell), is to find a fired .40 case. Rimless Super brass of all kinds will drop base-first into .40 brass, rimmed won't.

Excellent. ;)

Edited by Merlin Orr

Rich.. here's the change notice. Still lots of the old stuff out there though, so the problem hasn't gone away yet.

9 Super Comp (9x23) New Design-New Head Stamp As of 7-7-03 we have changed the head stamp to read 9x23 comp to allow easier

identification because it looked too similar to the 38 Super Comp head stamp.

At the same time, we slightly changed the interior design to allow the seating

of heavier bullets (i.e. 147 grains) but change will in no way affect performance

of case for use with lighter bullets.