Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Shoes For Ranges With Gravel?

I've been wearing 5.11 HRT boots lately. The things are incredibly comfortable. The 5.11 people claim some dude ran a marathon in them and after wearing them for a while, I tend to believ them. They have a good agressive tread that keeps me well anchored in dirt and gravel. The fact that they are boots means great ankle support as well. There's no chance of small rocks getting into your shoe.

LA Police gear has them on sale. If you can stand the desert digital camo, and you're lucky enough for them to still have your size, you can get them for $39.95. The tan ones are $69.95 and that's still a good deal on them. http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tahbo.html

I have wicked high arches, and no Nike will fit my feet. I use Mizuno baseball cleats. They pretty much work on anything, and are made for high arches (underpronators, I run regularly too). I also like Lowa Renegade hiking boots. The cleats are better on grass and sand though.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been wearing 5.11 HRT boots lately. The things are incredibly comfortable. The 5.11 people claim some dude ran a marathon in them and after wearing them for a while, I tend to believ them. They have a good agressive tread that keeps me well anchored in dirt and gravel. The fact that they are boots means great ankle support as well. There's no chance of small rocks getting into your shoe.

LA Police gear has them on sale. If you can stand the desert digital camo, and you're lucky enough for them to still have your size, you can get them for $39.95. The tan ones are $69.95 and that's still a good deal on them. http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tahbo.html

And I was lucky enough to get my size in the digital camo for 39.95, although I feel the boots are "sized" large. My Mizuno 11 1/2s' fit fine, the 5.11 HRT 11 1/2's are a bit big but a thick pair of socks takes care of that.

I'll be breaking them in at the PA State IDPA (no cleats allowed :D ) match this weekend.

Bruce

Edited by bruce282

I tried several brands of cleats. Land sharks included and all hurt my feet by the end of the day. I feel the presure of each cleat on the bottom of my feet, even with sport insoles. A few months ago I tried a pair of Bates Ultra light enforcers and love them. They are comfortable all day, light and the tread is aggressive on all surfaces including gravel. They were more expensive than Nike but compared to what my benelli cost its a drop in the bucket. Worth every penny for all day foot comfort.