Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Site shotgun article

BigDave

I have read the new Front Site article on shotguns for 3-gun.  As I read it, basically the author is stating that the Winchester SX-2/Browning Gold Striker is the fastest cycling shotgun on the planet.  Fine.

I own a Benelli M1-Super 90.  While doing some Bill Drills with my SV, I decided to get the Beneilli out since I had never really put it through its paces.  I loaded up six rounds just to see how it times-out against my SV.  The average split was .20 with the fastest being .17.  Again, this is really the first time I have cranked on this gun.  Now, being the novice know-nothing I really am, who on earth can (1) control (2) swing any loaded 12ga to need a split under .15????  

Those six I ripped off made me just giddy, it really did.  But, is speed like one see's in a Bill Drill, common in a 3-gun match with a shotgun.  Does one really need a gun that can split at or under .12????

I'm a know nothin newbie and I surmise that what matters in winning a shotgun stage is the same thing that matters in shooting a handgun stage, namely the number of steps you need to take to see all the targets.  Of course having said that, next months shotgun side match will be a bill drill......

I don't see it being a big deal. I can run .12 splits with my pistol, TJ runs .18-.20. He's also kicks my ass everytime. Reliability is more important. I think somebody has a new toy and wants to brag on it. When I get to the point that I'm so damn fast that .12 splits make a difference  it still won't matter cause noone else will be close to that speed. The shooting is easy its all the other little things that make the difference. Shoot what you ahve and don't worry. I'm keeping my Remington and Benelli.

I've never "outrun" my shotgun, Benelli or Remington.   I've never seen anyone "outrun" their shotgun at a 3 gun match, Voight and Miculek included.  It may be an issue w/ side matches with closely arrayed targets like a plate rack but I am not to concerned w/ a .12 or .13 split in normal 3 gunning.  More importantly is how fast can one load the Winchester or Browning.  3 gun Shotgunning is about loading!

I finally saw one of the mythical Winchester SX2 practicals at a gun store in Mesa.  It seemed to be well made.  It was much heavier than my Benelli and even heavier than my Remington 1187.  It had a nice  fiber optic front sight and weaver rail (for a dot) but it did not have a ghost ring rear sight as does the winchester in the article.  Instead it had a 10/22 esq rear sight on the barrel.   I don't know if this is good or bad as a lot of really good 3 gunner have forgone the ghost ring.  In fact Todd Salmon uses a 10/22 rear sight for slug shooting on his Benelli and I can't think of a better shotgunner.  It seemed like a very competitive shotgun.  We'll see........

It seems like in the article that they mounted a set of LPA rail mounted ghost rings, and the LPA high fiberoptic sight that goes with out.

Check out http://www.precisionsights.com/barshot.html

and

http://www.precisionsights.com/sg.html

I searched everywhere and couldn't find any stores, and dealers selling the winchester practical. I'm getting a browning gold for hunting and just play clay shooting first. Browning said they are coming out with a non-ribbed 22in barrel with cantilever mount as an extra barrel you can buy later on. (same barrel on the winchester practical).