Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better Primer Crud Containment

Hello,

Kinda curious if anyone here has any working solutions to containing, or at least minimizing the amount of spent primer crud that ends up on primer bar/slide area? I've been having some headaches w/ this lately... been cleaning the primer system a lot more than I thought I should have to, still have the primer bar doing the herky-jerky routine on me. Caused me some grief yesterday as it resulted in a backwards primer in one of my .308 Win loads... first sighter in a Prone Slowfire string goes 'POP!' and little streamers of smoke come out the back of the bolt in your face makes for one healthy flinch! :\

I've been going back thru the various posts on the primer slide issues; think I got enough information (stone/deburr, clean, dry lube, etc. ) to get the slide working decent again. After that though... seems like it'd be kinda nice to see if there isn't some way to address the root problem... the crud accumulating on the slide in the first place. Any of you Dillon 550 black-belt :ph34r: gurus have suggestions on what, if anything, could be done to improve things?

TIA,

Monte

Use steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to lightly scrub the sides and bottom of the primer slide, the top of the frame and the shim, if present. Then wipe all surfaces using solvent. :ph34r: