Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Shooting Related...music

Before each match I shoot, I play Music composed and performed by AldiMeola, just to get in tune.

For me the leading guitarist known today alongst with De Lucia and McLaughlin, his music helps me to get in tune and perform to my best in classifiers....

When I listen to his music, I experience Flow...

Please your thoughts...does anyone out there know Aldi and does this or another kind of music help you in perfoming well in matches.....

Just an other silly question.....

Edited by schmitz

Al DiMeola is a phenominal guitarist. Had the pleasure of seeing him perform with Return To Forever (Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White) in 76 and all I can say about that show is Yeooowwwza! Those cats can play!

A couple years later I happened to be in LA on a business trip and managed to catch Al doing a solo act at the Roxie theater. It was an electric format with bass, drums and keyboards supporting him (don't remember the players he had though). They baffled off the drums and amps to keep the volume under control and due to the audio engineers diligence (buddy of mine), the show was the most enjoyable audio experience I have ever had, not to mention a sweet musical one too. Al can play that geetar', yes he can!

Al DiMeola is a phenominal guitarist. Had the pleasure of seeing him perform with Weather Report (Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White) in 76 and all I can say about that show is Yeooowwwza! Those cats can play!

Return To Forever was the name of the band Chic Corea/Stanley Clarke & Lenny White played in. I had to research it as I had forgotten! :lol:

Talk about giving your age away! :lol:

FM

Right you are about it being Return To Forever. Talk about giving my age away with that senior moment, Doh!

BTW, I had the great pleasure of being the engineer on a number of recording sessions that Jaco Pastorius did in the late seventies. He even recorded two of the tracks using my 1964 Fender J-Bass :-) That guy could play a bass like nobody else in the world.

That guy could play a bass like nobody else in the world.
except for Stanley Clarke of course ;)

My favourite "Weather Report" is the '77 Heavy Weather Album featuring Zawinul, Acuna, Shorter, Pastorius and Badrena.

Edited by schmitz

"Another One Bites the Dust" - Queen

I sometimes play this on the way to the match with the volume way too high.

I don't know if it helps any but I like to think so.

Gets me fired up.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

except for Stanley Clarke of course

Back in 86 I was mixing for a band called Night Food featuring Jaco on bass and we wound up double billing with Stanley Clarke who was on tour with his own band and in town at the same time.

Jaco took the stage for a finale jam to end the night (using MY own personal 64 J-Bass) and did a duet with Stanley who was playing piccolo bass. They took things places no bass player has any right going and did utter magic while there. Jaco steered it mostly where he wanted it to go. First venture was into his standard 3rd stone from the sun solo piece, then he drifted into Spanish Eyes using his trademark plucked harmonics for the melody line. Jaco was basically using Stanley and his band as a backup band at this point and Stanley wasn't arguing musically about where Jaco took things ;-)

After trading solos with Stanley for over 20 minutes, Jaco finally segued things into a crazed version of the Star Spangled Banner where he started plucking the melody with his teeth ala' Jimi Hendrix. Stanley and his band had stopped playing so that Jaco could do it acapella. When he finished the rendition of the national anthem by leaving my bass in the stand leaned back against the amp, screaming a high feedback note, he staggered off the stage (he was really drunk from lotsa' bourbon shots during Stanleys 70 minute set). Stanley knelt down and bowed to Jaco as he passed, then stepped to the mic and said, Ladies and Gentlemen, the best bass player I know, "Jaco"

BTW, when he started doing the teeth plucking on my J-Bass, I turned to Stanleys monitor engineer and said, he pulls out the lighter fluid, I'm gonna' go out there and take my bass back ;-)

A version of Jaco's 3rd Stone From The Sun based solo piece is downloadable in .mp3 format here:

http://www.glinder.com/files/MP3/

Select the cut called "Slang" This version has been around for a while and was recorded while he was still with Weather Report.

An IPSC Level III-match is oncoming this weekend: The STI-Open organized by M1-Belgium on an outdoor range near Rilland-Bath (border south/west NL-BE). It needs a longer highway drive....Chasin' the Devil on a Spanish Highway is my fav 911 tune....

I'm competing in Open (leaving Limited/Standard Division), first time since 2003...my eyes are deteriorating quickly... <_<, my ears aren't :D

High hopes, with AldiMeola (Guardian Angel, my favourite on the Friday Night in San Fransisco-live album) and Jaco playing..... :) Playing their music is a nice prep for this major match.

@Geoffrey, mucho thanks for the link, I saved the video...great stuff...thx man!

Edited by schmitz

My favorite Jaco story of all time:

September, 79. My buddy who is the house monitor engineer at the Greek Theater in Berkeley CA. calls me up and says. Jaco is playing with Joni Mitchell at the Greek next week, wanna' come hang out. I said yeah!

Get there at noon and hang backstage scarfin' at BGP craft services (Bill Graham's catering service was the best food in show business). About 3pm sound check starts and I'm hangin' at the side of the stage with my friend at the monitor console. Things are moving along at a snails pace and Joni starts complaining that everything is way too loud for her to hear her guitar (mic'd acoustic). She steps up to the mic and ask if "everybody" can turn down a bit overall. Jaco is getting a little belligerent about it taking so long standing around waiting for Joni to get happy so he says, "go get a bigger guitar". She get's pretty darned upset and runs off to her dressing room and won't come out.

The tour manager finally get's Jaco to promise to be nice and turn it down a little (Jaco's volume was the reason the mix was so loud in the first place) and then talks Joni into coming out to do the rest of sound check and go on with the show. Jaco and Joni had a big hug and got on with it.

During the show it got pretty loud onstage again and she pretty much gave up strummin' at one point, but kept smiling and sang her heart out ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a chunk from a little ditty Jaco wrote while playing with Nightfood in 85. Killing time in a studio, he banged out a quik-n-dirty drum part with a drum machine that was laying around. He then had me spin it back while he noodled out a bass part. The guitar and sax players had arrived by then and they got talked through the piece by Jaco. In one take, they did their parts while Jaco played the keyboard part. Quick mix and Bam! Kinda' Weather Reporty, but all Jaco! The quality is low only because it came off of a cassette that sat in a box in my basement for 15 years.

Nightfood_Jaco_Solo.mp3

• 2 weeks later...