Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Speak Japanese

Or more to the point write it? I am going to have a set of alumnagrips made up with a tiger on one side and thought my first name in japanese would be kinda neat on the other side or my initials. Anybody wanna help.

Thanks

Eric or in this case EWK

Don't do it.

Phonetically it will be what you want.

On the other hand, the favorite form of Japanese humor is word play.

You have no idea what it might mean to a native speaker.

Over the years I have seen too many chuckles when a native Japanese points to the

"Name" embroidered in kanji on a gi and asks what's that?

Or live dangerously! :D

My mom's Japanese. You'll want to use katakana. It's the Japanese character set that is mainly used for foreign words and names. For you, you'll want the three characters: "e" "ri" "ku".

The link below will show you the characters and will even show you the stroke order to write them.

Go here:

katakana guide

<snip>

Over the years I have seen too many chuckles when a native Japanese points to the

"Name" embroidered in kanji on a gi and asks what's that?

That's still better than someone asking the same question and pointing at a tattoo! ;)

Edited by mpolans

Thnaks guys for the help I also had some other folks P.M. me with the characters and so far they all seem to be a match, so unless alot of people have the same sense of humor I should be in pretty good shape.

Eric

My mom's Japanese. You'll want to use katakana. It's the Japanese character set that is mainly used for foreign words and names. For you, you'll want the three characters: "e" "ri" "ku".

The link below will show you the characters and will even show you the stroke order to write them.

Go here:

katakana guide

+1 on what Mark says. Japanese use katagana for the names of no kanji writing system area foreigners and think it tremendously hilarious when white or black people try to use kanji for their names. Your name in Japanese katagana would be エリック and it would be pronounced eh ri kku.

Hope this helps.

Sam Spiteri