Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vihta Vuori N105 Vs. Imr 4756?

PistolPete

In terms of IMR stuff, about the only one you'll have luck with is 7625, and by all accounts, that powder shows pressure issues.

N350 is one to look at - it works well in 9x21 loaded short, anyway. If you can fit enough of it and not spill it all over the place...

I'm guessing the reason you couldn't use the 4756 in 9mm is because the 9mm case is shorter than the .38 super case so my guess is you couldn't get enough of the 4756 into the case. I could be wrong though and will first say that I'm new to .38 super and have never loaded 9 Major before so please correct me if I'm wrong. When using the 4756 in the .38 super case the case is about 85-90% full.

Pete

So to make 9 Major is it safe to say you would need a faster burning powder?

It has as much to do the density and type of powder as the speed. Powder like Titegroup or HS-g that is "ball" or "flake" powder requires less space than something like N105 which is like the little pellets you see around an earthworm hole (I think they are called extruded powders). There are flake powders that are too slow to get enough in the case as you say but even among the faster powders some take more volume for an equal charge.

So to make 9 Major is it safe to say you would need a faster burning powder?

Roughly speaking, yeah - though it depends on who's burn chart you believe as to what powder is slower than which other one. Really, though, it also dependents upon powder density. 4756 and 7625 are less dense than some of the other powders, filling the case a lot more per charge weight. This is why you could run 3N38 for Major 9, if you don't mind a full-ish case...

I just ordered 8 more pounds of the N105. I guess I'll use up my 4756 for practice loads. Since the dot bounces much more it will prob. be good practice for trying to follow the dot.

Where are you buying your N105?

Tony

I just ordered 8 more pounds of the N105. I guess I\\\'ll use up my 4756 for practice loads. Since the dot bounces much more it will prob. be good practice for trying to follow the dot.

Where are you buying your N105?

Tony

I would like to know also on N105. I am also working up to a 9 Major load and currently loading 7gr of 4756 just for practice rounds and breaking in the gun.

N105 is pretty hot for 9 Major or does someone have a load with N105 for 9 Major ????

Thanks

N105 is pretty hot for 9 Major or does someone have a load with N105 for 9 Major ????

Thanks

Way too slow for Major 9. The case is practically filled for Super loads (13.5 grs fit in a case, and my Major loads were in the 10.5gr range...)

Thanks

Way too slow for Major 9. The case is practically filled for Super loads (13.5 grs fit in a case, and my Major loads were in the 10.5gr range...)

Read the chart wrong----agree, N105 is like 62 on the chart.

HS6 is pretty much the best given price and all ??????

My question still goes unanswered so I will ask it again.

Where are you buying N105?

Powder Valley lists 1 lb containers only.

Swartout does not list it at all on their web site.

Where, oh where to get 4 or 8 lbs?

Tls

I buy my N105 from Recob's Target Shop in Wisconsin, $21.95/lb. Shipping (to Idaho) and Hazmat add's approximately $3 per pound. :angry:

E-mail: recobtgt@chorus.net

Web site: www.recobstargetshop.com

Phone: 1-800-359-4571

• 1 month later...

Thanks

+1

N105 is way too slow for 9Major. I did try it out in the 9x21mm at oal 31.8mm, even there press load, didn't came over 165PF, having a 5" Schueman Barrel with 3 ports. The best of the VVs should be N350, 3N38 too much flames, 3N37 issue on pressure, also flames.

DVC Chris

• 2 weeks later...
105 is flatter shooting in bob's guns

you can make it shoot to flat and get dot wobble.

I've yet to get the dot wobble but def. noticed a major difference between the 2 powders. Now I have about 7.5lbs. of IMR to waste. I'm going to use the IMR for practice ammo until it is all gone. Hopefully it will be gone sooner than later.

I know personally that I shoot a gun with a little bit of flip - that cycles absolutely straight - better than I shoot a gun that's so flat that it "wobbles". Invariably (in the "wobblers" I've shot), the dot doesn't follow a consistent path in the wobble, making it hard to accurately time. If it doesn't cycle consistently, I don't want it... In fact, I'm switching powders in my gun because of that issue.... YMMV, of course...

I determined that through empirical testing - my scores are better with a gun I can time, even one that flips a lot more...

My gun shoots flat but the dot does rise a bit with the N105 but it follows a very consistant path and I can literally follow the dot between shots until it aligned with the next shot I need to take. With the IMR powder the dot lifts much higher and when it returns bounces up and down a few times making traking the dot much more difficult for me. It's almost as if after the shot brakes I get shakey hands and am rocking the gun up and down.

I loaded some 3N37, 7625, and N105 and did some Chrono work at the range. There is a wooden overhang on the range and the one thing that stood out about N105 is the really fierce blast to the top of my head from the wooden overhang. The other two I barely felt but the N105 was like someone was hitting me with a stiff broom in the forehead. Wish it was not such a pain to load 10.1gr of it in a 38SC case! It ends up spilling all over as it pretty much fills the case.

As for dot jump, I am still too new to Open to really pick out the best load. I have lots of 3N37 so I am using it until gone then I will decide between the 105 and IMR.

The N105 does recoil a bit harder than the IMR powder. The IMR hits the web of your hand much harder than the IMR. However, for me this doesn't bother me. The impulse is a little harder as well with the N105. There are def. drawbacks to both powders but "for me" I prefer the N105 because I find it easier to track the dot. When I shoot the IMR when the dot is bouncing I feel that I have to time my shot better almost like shooting a swinger targer. I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the anaology.

Pete