Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

There's A New Sheriff In Town

Tom Mainus

Let me be the first to congatulate Sam on his match yesterday at the Northern Illinois sectional. Yes it is true, a 13 year old kicked my ass yesterday and deservingly so. I had not seen Sam since nationals last year and he has grown up a bit, and he has been practicing. Sam shot a hell of a match, and he beat me on stages that are not my strong point, but on those stages he just owned them. Hell, he even had a stage win, beating his father and coming damn close on a couple of others. The first stage he owned was Merles Standards, a tough classifier. He had a mike that was questionable(Just to get through this stage clean is a feat in itself) His times were only a little slower than Mikes. Great Job.

The next one was a 24 round all steel field course. 24 poppers scatters all over the place. Sam goes 24 for 24 and cleans it. The RO said he was the only one to do that all day and we shot that stage towards the end of the match. Only one out of ALL the divisions to shoot it clean.

So way to go Sam, great match, it was a blast shooting with the revolver guys again.

On a side note for Jim. Jim you were looking for suggestions on nationals and how to get through the match, I have a tip for you. No matter how grandmotherly the cook looks, and no matter how much hard work she has put in to feeding the shooters. DO NOT eat her potatoe salad. I have been puking my guts out since 7 p.m. last night, missed work today because stomach is all messed up. The potatoe salad is the only thing we can think of that would have made me sick.

Tom

Let me be the first to congatulate Sam on his match yesterday at the Northern Illinois sectional. Yes it is true, a 13 year old kicked my ass yesterday and deservingly so. I had not seen Sam since nationals last year and he has grown up a bit, and he has been practicing. Sam shot a hell of a match, and he beat me on stages that are not my strong point, but on those stages he just owned them. Hell, he even had a stage win, beating his father and coming damn close on a couple of others. The first stage he owned was Merles Standards, a tough classifier. He had a mike that was questionable(Just to get through this stage clean is a feat in itself) His times were only a little slower than Mikes. Great Job.

The next one was a 24 round all steel field course. 24 poppers scatters all over the place. Sam goes 24 for 24 and cleans it. The RO said he was the only one to do that all day and we shot that stage towards the end of the match. Only one out of ALL the divisions to shoot it clean.

So way to go Sam, great match, it was a blast shooting with the revolver guys again.

On a side note for Jim. Jim you were looking for suggestions on nationals and how to get through the match, I have a tip for you. No matter how grandmotherly the cook looks, and no matter how much hard work she has put in to feeding the shooters. DO NOT eat her potatoe salad. I have been puking my guts out since 7 p.m. last night, missed work today because stomach is all messed up. The potatoe salad is the only thing we can think of that would have made me sick.

Tom

Congrats Sam! I'm anxious to see you again this weekend!

Tom, thanks for those nice comments about Sammy. He was gunning for you, that's for sure! :)

One thing that really has helped him develop as a shooter was taking some formal instruction from Emanuel Bragg back in the spring. Over a weekend, Sam shot something like 1800 rounds under EB's watchful eye, along with a small group of our shooting friends. (I actually stayed away so as not to distract any of them with my own ingrained bad habits!) I was on the computer yesterday and noticed that Sam had emailed EB to tell him about the Northern Illinois Sectional, and giving him a lot of the credit for his continuing improvement.

Truth is, Sam's just one of those people who's wired up for this stuff. In addition to his physical coordination and coachability, he's got the best set of match nerves I've ever seen on anyone of any age.

(You can probably tell I'm really proud of the kid.)

That match meant a lot to him, Tom. He knows you're one of the top wheelgunners out there, and he knows his performance was an accomplishment. He also knows you're rolling up your sleeves and coming after him next time with a real vengeance!! :)

As always, we enjoyed shooting with you and Jim, and of course our honorary revolver super squad member, good ol' Norm!

No matter how grandmotherly the cook looks, and no matter how much hard work she has put in to feeding the shooters. DO NOT eat her potatoe salad. I have been puking my guts out since 7 p.m. last night, missed work today because stomach is all messed up. The potatoe salad is the only thing we can think of that would have made me sick.

Tom

Sure you weren't just sick over getting whupped by a 13 year old? :D

Congratulations Sam!

As one of the people 'Steely' Sam Carmoney wupped up on, it was a pleasure to shoot with him. He handled himself very well. If he continues at this pace we will all be watching him on TV, from our rockers.

Mike, as I'm sure you know, you have a lot more there to be proud of than just his shooting talent. I thought he carried himself very well. He was honest when he was worried about a stage, and relaxed with accepting/giving advice.

It was worth the price of admission when he gave Mike those golden words of advice on the 'Steel Stage'. "Dad I have one word for you - Miss!" I was blessed later on when he advised me to "miss alot". Which was I able to accomplish for him.

Even starting the stage with his gun locked in the holster didn't phase him too much.

Tom - I didn't try the 'tater salad, nor did I try the gob of meatlike hotdogs. Next time though we buy Sam a large helping of it. :blink:

Jim

Truth is, Sam's just one of those people who's wired up for this stuff. In addition to his physical coordination and coachability, he's got the best set of match nerves I've ever seen on anyone of any age.

Sounds like Sam could become the next generation of Eric Grauffel meets Jerry Miculek ;)

I wonder how good he will be when he's 18! B)