Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Cool Guns

Loves2Shoot

Admittedly, it has been 20 yrs ago that I built mine, but it is on a ZKK 602 action, Douglas bbl, Bishop laminated stock, Williams peep rear and Marble front....11 pounds loaded, one up the spout and two down..still kicks pretty good..killed two cape buffs with it...never found either slug...all of them completely penetrated....it is fun to blow up big chunks of cement with the 510 gr soft points.....and it recoils about the same as my other bud's 50 BMG :P:D

I think you could build one today for less than 2500 easy...and getting it done is the fun part for me..only thing that is really problimatic is sometimes getting them to feed smoothly and effortlessly...knowing what to polish and how to determine where the problem is can be tough if you have not done it before..I called Geo. Huenig (sp) and talked to him lots when I was building mine..he put up Jeff Coopers gun and mine was built almost like it...turned out nice if I do say so... ;)

Big bore rifles are super cool and fun to shoot....enjoy shooting my 460 G&A....just expensive to shoot...90 gr of IMR4064 and a 500gr Woodleigh......they are impressive aren't they?

I went the "cheap" route and had a Ruger #1H in .458 Win Mag rechambered out to .460 Weatherby. Brass and bullets are relatively inexpensive which is what I was looking for over an exotic caliber. My standard load is 120grs of 4350 behind a .45 cal 500gr bullets which pushes it in the 2,600+ range. At 120 grs of powder a shot a pound doesn't last long. :)

Neal in AZ

Big bore rifles are super cool and fun to shoot....enjoy shooting my 460 G&A....just expensive to shoot...90 gr of IMR4064 and a 500gr Woodleigh......they are impressive aren't they?

I went the "cheap" route and had a Ruger #1H in .458 Win Mag rechambered out to .460 Weatherby. Brass and bullets are relatively inexpensive which is what I was looking for over an exotic caliber. My standard load is 120grs of 4350 behind a .45 cal 500gr bullets which pushes it in the 2,600+ range. At 120 grs of powder a shot a pound doesn't last long. :)

Neal in AZ

Shot a guy's .460 Weatherby..once.

Go ahead - call me a wuss! No thanks. :wacko:

Intel6

Mine is more of a big push rather than a slap...shot a 378 Weatherby and it hurt me.. cannot imagine yours is much fun to shoot unless you are lots tougher than me...(probably you are...lol) and to quote Jeff Cooper, how dead is dead...my 500 @ 2350 kills them just as dead as your 500@2600 and is lots less painful to shoot...if I was going to put up another, probably would be a 450 Lott...easy to chamber, now a factory load, brass is easy to get and it is on a 375 headsize...makes it lots easier...can use most any long action...

Merlin....mine weighs 11 lbs and is not bad to shoot...wish I had the $$ to get a 470 double...now that is the CLASSIC African big game gun....mine has slightly better balistics, but not the charisma the double does...

I think the .460 Weatherby has more punch.

I didn't think the kick was bad, but it was stiff, I shot 7 rounds. My buddy is going to africa to shoot some big game, and he said he has to be able to reload it and shoot again in 2.5 second, now that is going to be a feat. He wouldn't let me pull both triggers at the same time, but I did shot it one/two. I can afford a Ruger #1, but are they too light? I don't want something that will blow my arm off, but I don't have the $ for the cool one either.

Shot a guy's .460 Weatherby..once.

Go ahead - call me a wuss! No thanks. :wacko:

OK, WUSS WUSS WUSS, but you asked for it!!! :D

Mine is more of a big push rather than a slap...shot a 378 Weatherby and it hurt me..

I have .378 Weatherby, great gun!!! I have a load that is 1/2 minute of angle!!! YES, it has a bit of an aggressive recoil :wacko: I believe it is 105 Ft. lb.s :o But i put a KDF on that puppy, shoots like a .338 or a .340 now, not bad at all!!!

The majority, well, OK, all of my Friends REFUSE to shoot it!!! I just group them in with Merlin ;)

It did give my eyes floaters tho, and they are a nuisance :angry:

Even tho I don't shoot long guns anymore, I have some cool "toys" left over from my long gun days!!!

Edited by zhunter

Zhunter

I know a comp will tame the beast, but a KDF on the 378 will kill the grass on either side of you for 10 yds and even with plugs and muffs, you'll probably never have normal hearing again...Now we know why you yell into the mike...you just cannot hear anymore...no wonder you switched to the Bow and Arrow..LOL

Stock design and gun weight are the two things that make them pleasant to shoot...and if it tamed it to something like a 340 Weatherby...it is still too much for me... Had a old Browning Safari in 458 Win when I was thinking about Africa and a couple yrs before the 460 came about...made some up from PO Ackley's book...shot it over the screens..and yes it did a legit 2284fps, but nearly vaporized all my fillings and did knock my hat off..course the gun only weighed 8 lbs, so it was pretty fierce...I pulled the other 4 rounds..decided that night to build a bigger, and lots heavier rifle...so over a couple bottles of Merlot, my bud Fred and I decided on the 460 G&A....

Almost had a chance to shoot a 600 Nitro Heym, but the ammo cost was prohibitive...something like 45 bucks a shot..I wanted to shoot it, but not at that cost...

I do like my .338 Win...built on the action from the .458 Win...again, Douglas bbl, with comp, Browning stock...shoots 250 gr Noslers into .7" at 100 at 2570fps...great for Continental US...My fav load is 210 Nosler at 2885 into .75"....70gr of 4350...good stuff...

Love big rifles... :D

Intel6

Mine is more of a big push rather than a slap...shot a 378 Weatherby and it hurt me.. cannot imagine yours is much fun to shoot unless you are lots tougher than me...(probably you are...lol) and to quote Jeff Cooper, how dead is dead...my 500 @ 2350 kills them just as dead as your 500@2600 and is lots less painful to shoot...if I was going to put up another, probably would be a 450 Lott...easy to chamber, now a factory load, brass is easy to get and it is on a 375 headsize...makes it lots easier...can use most any long action...

I think the .460 also gives a big push more than a slap and figure you are pushing the same power out a larger hole in the barrel than the 378 (.375).

While the Ruger is around 8 pounds I am 6"4" and 250 lbs. so I feel it but don't get hurt. I know the whole thing about what power level is need to take game etc... I just wanted a big bore to play with and this was a cheap way to get into one and when loaded to the high end it is tops in energy if you don't coun't the big exotics.

Used Ruger #1H $350 and a rechamber and recountour the locking block for $85 and I am in business. While I do like shooting the full power loads I have also been playing with a 500 gr. Lead gas checked bullet with 20 grs. of Unique. Shoots a lot milder but still lets you know it is a big bore.

Neal in AZ

to kill gais so 5 and teThe

Intel6

Well, I am 6'2", and when I put up my 460 I was about 230, so I guess I am just a wuss...but the Weatherby cartridges just never appealed to me...read too many African books as a kid..also wanted to shoot a 510 Wells, but don't know anyone with one..like I said, I would put up a 450 Lott in a heartbeat and may rebbl mine to that so I don't have to reload...might be fun to get another big one...but also been thinking about a 416 Rigby...now there is another one with lots of African and Indian heritage...that night be fun also..a 410 at 2450....lots of penetration there...

Edited by tightloop

Zhunter

I know a comp will tame the beast, but a KDF on the 378 will kill the grass on either side of you for 10 yds and even with plugs and muffs, you'll probably never have normal hearing again...Now we know why you yell into the mike...you just cannot hear anymore...no wonder you switched to the Bow and Arrow..LOL

Love big rifles... :D

LMAO

I agree on all counts, but PLEASE type in caps, I can't hear you when you are whispering ;)

As for the KDF and the gases, well, I was sighting in a new load one day from the bench, and it knocked a push broom off of the two nails it was hanging from on the wall of the range office. It is NOT for the faint of heart!!

Zhunter

My bud who has the 50BMG also has a 30-378...he rebarrelled it the first yr....lasted about 900 rounds, maybe not that much...he chrono'ed it ...180 at 3496fps....Oh My God...!!!!!!!and I don';t think that was max, that was his handload...

I am of the Elmer Keith school of thought...bigger cross section, more weight, more frontal mass at moderate speeds....My fav brush gun is my 35 Whelen with a 250 at 2360fps...they don't even twitch...just die...I do have a 300 H&H that is a long range killer...165 at 3250 and 180 at 3100...great old cartridge....killed them in Africa along with the .375, 270 at 2650...good stuff...

Intel6

Well, I am 6'2", and when I put up my 460 I was about 230, so I guess I am just a wuss...but the Weatherby cartridges just never appealed to me...read too many African books as a kid..also wanted to shoot a 510 Wells, but don't know anyone with one..like I said, I would put up a 450 Lott in a heartbeat and may rebbl mine to that so I don't have to reload...might be fun to get another big one...but also been thinking about a 416 Rigby...now there is another one with lots of African and Indian heritage...that night be fun also..a 410 at 2450....lots of penetration there...

Mabey I'm just too stupid to know any better about the recoil :huh:

As far as the Weatherby caliber's go I would much rather have one of the other more exotic caliber's but the ammo costs, even with reloading, scared me away. I wanted a big bore and wanted to shoot it and that woudl be tough if I was having to pay lots of $ just to be able to shoot it. Now that I have stuck my toe in the water I will most likely get something a little more exotic/different like a 505 Gibs on a CZ action.

Neal in AZ

TL

I can't remember the exact ballistics, but the .378 has 6000 ft/lb.s of muzzle energy. It pushed a 300 gr. bullet a bit over 3000 ft/sec if memory serves me correctly.

It was NOT a push of a recoil, but then again, it did not last long either ;)

Great gun!!

Wow....505 Gibbs..now there is a really big one..Cooper pondered about making one of those when he was deciding on a big rifle...he considered the head size a real problem, but now with CZ making one...might be lots of fun...

and Zhunter...as far as the recoil not lasting long...well... neither does a car wreck, but if you have ever had one..would you want another..?LOL

Wow....505 Gibbs..now there is a really big one..Cooper pondered about making one of those when he was deciding on a big rifle...he considered the head size a real problem, but now with CZ making one...might be lots of fun...

and Zhunter...as far as the recoil not lasting long...well... neither does a car wreck, but if you have ever had one..would you want another..?LOL

TL

Too funny!!!

I was making a joke about he sharpness of the recoil. :D

Gotta say a .460 Weatherby is right on up there in the "OUCHIE!" category! We were shooting the thing at a 200 yard plate, and it was accurate as all get-out, but it had a nasty recoil impulse...to me, much sharper than a .50 BMG, the old Nitro Express guns I've shot or even a Ruger #1 in .458.

Still, gotta love shoving that big cartridge in!

Michael B

Yep the older double guns in the Express calibers usually weighed about 11 lbs and gave you a shove rather than a slap...I have dreamed of having a .470 but probably have a better chance of picking up a 450/400 or something like that...the 470's are the primo caliber and go for big dollars....

still would love to have a double of any kind...even 9.3x74.....