Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Detonation - Need Quick Fix

I had another detonation tonight. This is the second time since I bought my 650. At least this time it was only a couple primers and not 75 like before.

I know Dillon will send replacement parts, however, I need to get some rounds loaded ASAP. The only two parts that got hosed are the plastic rod and the aluminum tube that is inside the steel safety sleeve (Part No. 18S in picture below). I can do without the plastic rod, but the aluminum tube is needed to hold the primers.

This aluminum tube happens to be the same size (OD and ID) as the pickup tubes but about 2 inches longer. Due to the extra length, a primer tube won't work because it disappears inside the steel sleeve.

Has anyone tried replacing this tube with something bought at a local store? ...I'm wondering if a place like Lowe's or Home Depot might carry some tubing that is the same size?

According to my rough measurements, the outside diameter is 0.311" or about 5/16". The inside diamter is 0.184".

If anyone has any ideas on a place to get some of this tubing (real quick), please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Darren

primer_sys_assy_schem.gif

The only thing I can think of that you can do that would be safe is decap on a single stage and hand-prime before putting the cases in the 650 with the decapping pin removed.

I haven't had a primer pop in my presses yet (knock on wood) but I bought an other complete primer feed for my 550's just in case. Not really necessary with another complete press as a back up but I didn't want to fool with adjusting dies from one press to the other.

Been there, done that......Use a primer tube and use some duct tape on the top to keep it from moving around. If you have a spare parts kit you have a spare lower primer piece for the bottom of the tube. It will get you by until your parts arrive.

Hope I was quick enough to help....

DougC

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I'm going to duct tape two primer tubes together. The brass part at the bottom was not damaged. I cleaned it up and it's fine. ...It would still be nice finding a local source for this tubing though. I think I'll just pay to have Dillon send me a couple extra tubes just in case.

It appears this detonation happened when the rotary primer disc got out of sync and a primer was caught in the middle. I recently noticed that the indexing arm spring wasn't pushing the indexing arm back so I think that's how things got out of sync.

The bad part is that I felt the resistance and continued to press. I continued to press because I thought I was dealing with a Glock-fired case that was giving some resistance during the resize. ....I was wrong. :)

Darren

Been there, done that......Use a primer tube and use some duct tape on the top to keep it from moving around. If you have a spare parts kit you have a spare lower primer piece for the bottom of the tube. It will get you by until your parts arrive.

Hope I was quick enough to help....

DougC

I had a problem with the indexing arm not being pushed back by the spring too. At first I thought it was the spring but when I took it all apart I found that a lot of old junk was packed under the index arm and the pin it rotates on. I used to neglect this when I cleaned the press but have found that it pays to remove the arm and clean it from time to time to keep it indexing the primer wheel properly.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out when I get home.

BTW, a humungous THANKS! to Gary at Dillon. I still can't believe the service you guys provide. Even though I told Gary that I only had two parts that needed replaced, he said the policy was to replace the entire assembly. I don't know how you guys make any money.

An even BIGGER THANKS for being open on a SATURDAY! Man was I surprise when someone answered! Because of this, I'll be able to get my new parts before I head to Area 3.

Thanks again,

Darren

Check the primer seating punch assembly,be sure it is threaded up into the bottom of the platform. Use a 9/16" open end wrench to tighten it with. :ph34r: