Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low And Left

I am still really new to shooting and I seem notice a common problem when shooting. It seems that no matter what I aim at I am hitting low and to the left nearly everytime. I am assuming it comes from either flinching before the trigger is pulled or possibly overcompensation from my left hand anticipating the recoil. When I shoot one handed I seem to fare much better at getting close to my aim point. I am sure some of you have had this occur. How did you get over it?

If you will do a search on the forum, there are several really good discussions on this very thing...usually in a relatively new shooter, it is from too much right hand on the gun, and too much finger in/on the trigger...the balance is about 65 left 35 right for lots of us, but you need to experiment to find your own ratio...sorry I could not be more precise, but there are many many reasons the groups are low left..this is just the first that came to mine and one of the most obvious for a newish shooter...

Keep after it, you'll get it.. :P

I am still really new to shooting and I seem notice a common problem when shooting. It seems that no matter what I aim at I am hitting low and to the left nearly everytime.

Every new shooter does that. It is from yanking the trigger instead of squeezing it. You see the sights moving and then yank the trigger when they are "perfect"..... and the yank pulls the shot low left.

I've done it hundreds of times.

A new shooter, friend of mine, started shooting low and left. His support hand was slipping down the grip toward a cupped position. When he started jamming the support hand up under the trigger guard, the problem stopped. Keep at it, time will cure the problem.

When I had this problem, I was 'milking' the trigger pull: my right little finger was moving in sympathy with my trigger finger, pulling the gun down and to the left (I'm right handed). Possibly a stronger grip could eliminate this for you, so the pinkie is already flexed when you squeeze the trigger.

disclaimer: I'm new to this, too.

This happens to me alot as well when i try to rush my trigger pull on my G34. When i slow down and squeeze the trigger instead of pull it i am more accurate. In other words i'm fighting the stock trigger to much. The Glock is the only trigger i have a problem with. I've shot 1911's and SA CZ's and have no problem at all with hitting dead center at speed. I just cannot get consistant with the long hard stock pull of the Glock, and its impedeing my shooting and i feel its holding me back. A trigger job is on the horizon to shorten, lighten and smooth it out. I can only conclude that my accuracy and speed will improve with a trigger job. I hope so because i love this gun and shoot it as much as i can.

• 1 month later...

I am fairly new to to hand gun's (in competion anyway) & when I first shot my XD45 Tactixal I shot low left also. I was milking the grip & using too much trigger finger. I mashed the end of the trigger finger off in a accident aout 20yrs ago & don't have much feeling in it. They sewed it back on but forgot to put the feeling back! I've learned to cope with it through much practice & shooting Bull's Eye in a league. I think it will be o.k. but I probably not shoot as well as I could have if everything was normal.

I think there is a poll somewhere about those who pull the trigger versus those who "slap" it. Now, let's not confuse "slapping" with jerking. In slapping the trigger you only use the tip of your finger, while in jerking you spread the motion all the way to your wrist.

I've conducted my own "local" poll in my club about it, and found that most top shooters use a mixture depending on required speed and distance to the target.

As mentioned above, practice is indeed the cure. But practice doing what?

Disassociation of the trigger finger from the rest of your hand is what must be practiced. Isolate the motion of your trigger finger away. Yes, as somebody mentioned above, there is symphatetic motion in other fingers as you move it. This can be minimized or cured. An example is your trusty keyboard in your PC. (If you are in this forum you must be using one!) That is unless you are one of those "single finger pecker/typer, in which case learning how to use both hands to type would help. Notice how you learn to eliminate interference of your other fingers as you type. ( and you are not even squeezing the keyboard untill the oil drips out of it. He, he!)

Practice deliberate slapping of the trigger, relaxing your shooting finger hand, while increasing gradually the hold pressure on your support hand. Don't stiffle yourself. Increase your pressure without aniticipating the shot. Live fire practice is a must, especially with your splits. And especially at the longer distances.

I used to have a problem with this. I was gripping way to hard with the right hand and not hard enough with the support hand. Let the support do most of the gripping. The primary focus for the right hand is to pull the trigger. If you gripping too hard with you right hand, you can relax your trigger finger enough to pull the trigger straight back. Relax, take the slack out, line up the sights, and break the trigger.

glock17w

Listen to Radical Precision Designs.

While I certainly grip the gun with my right hand, most of the grip is in the left hand. Gives me a sensation of my right hand doing nothing more than providing a finger to operate the trigger.