Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Rifle Primers In 9mm For A 16" Carbine?

sasquatch981

Ok, so I searched and read several threads about the use of SR primers instead of SP primers. I read about the possible issues of the primer sealing, and causing breachface erosion. I've read about the fact that SR primers should give a longer hotter flash (if you use CCI Primers) and that it should give you a "slight" increase in velocity. So with all that said here is my question. :D

I don't load 9mm for open or production. The only 9mm I have now is a 9mm AR-15. After a rifle match, I notice that the bolt and interior of the receiver is covered in what appears to unburnt powder. It looks likes sand on the bolt, charging handle, trigger components, etc. I realize that the 9mm rifle is a straight blowback so it will be dirtier than a normal AR. However, will a SR primer burn the powder more completely? :blink:

Componets used:

Mixed once fire nickle brass

Montanna Gold 124 FMJ

Ramshot Silouette

(Have been using Federal Small pistol primers)

Thanks

I'd give small pistol magnum primers a try first. I use Federal 200s in almost all my ammo that takes small pistol primers, and they help with the cleanliness.

Unless you're trying for max possible velocity, you might want to try a faster powder. The new version of Unique leaves almost no residue at those pressures.

IPSC Open Gun shooters tend to use small rifle primers to prevent piercing - 38 Super/9mmMajor loads run to rifle level pressures. From there the use has grown into 40 S&W ammo too. It also simplifies things if you are a 3 Gunner, because then you only need one type of primer to load Open and Limited Pistols and your AR15, and you minimize your chances of a mix up...

The small rifle primers have more priming mix in them than small pistol, which means that it will tend to light off the powder in a pistol a little more vigorously. That means two things:

You need to develop your loads with the Small Rifle primers;

They might burn cleaner, although that is also a function of bullet fit in your barrel and which powder and bullet type you use.

Small Rifle Primers work fine in 1911 type pistols. Now if you are shooting other types of pistols, you might want to test first - malfs in matches really take off the fun.

Billski

It looks likes sand on the bolt, charging handle, trigger components, etc.

I don't think changing to SR primers will fix your problem. I tried a pound or two of Silhouette in my 9mm open gun with SR primers. I loved the powder but didn't like the sand like residue that was left behind. It's residue is soft but resembles sand. I would look to a cleaner powder, maybe faster too, and still change to the SR primers.

What types of power would you reccomend as a faster powder, and a cleaner powder?

At first I just tried V320 in my normal 9mm load. When I shot it through the rifle I couldn't keep all the shots on a dinner plate at 25 yards :blink: . With the siloutte I could at least get it to group in 1". :)

At first I just tried V320 in my normal 9mm load. When I shot it through the rifle I couldn't keep all the shots on a dinner plate at 25 yards

Crap.......so much for recomending N320. I have used N340 for a light steel load which is close in burn rate to Silhouette. As far as clean goes, I haven't found anything that comes close to the Vihtavouri powders.

• 2 weeks later...

for 9mm carbines its hard to beat UNIVERSAL CLAYS.

its clean, and makes good power too. However, accurate arms number 7 was the most accurate load i tried.

in my 9mm carbine, (marlin camp 9) i shot accurate arms number 7 and MG 115 grain JHP and federal 200 primers and got good results(under 1 inch 5 shots at 25 yards)

i think the load was 8.8 grains and in the rifle it was over 1500 fps

Edited by Harmon