Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Special Minor Loads

dgsmith

Hey guys,

My wife started shooting with me this year. I have been buying her rem. 130 grain factory loads. I have not been able to chonagraph them yet so not sure if they make minor. Specs on website say they make around 120 pf from 4 inch barrel not sure what it will make with 6 inch. What handloads do you guys use.

Hey guys,

My wife started shooting with me this year. I have been buying her rem. 130 grain factory loads. I have not been able to chonagraph them yet so not sure if they make minor. Specs on website say they make around 120 pf from 4 inch barrel not sure what it will make with 6 inch. What handloads do you guys use.

To make power factor in IDPA, I use 4.5gr of Tightgroup with a 158gr CMJ round nose bullet. That is for a 4" barrel S&W 66 but it gets me consistent 130PF

Regards,

I have been buying her rem. 130 grain factory loads. I have not been able to chonagraph them yet so not sure if they make minor.
A buddy of mine bought some from Walley World and shot then at the ICORE Southern Regional out of a 6" Smith. They didn't make 120PF. I'll ask him what they came in at. :unsure:

dqsmith, In my 686 6" smith I use 3.5 grains of Solo 1000 behind a 160 lead bullet. It make about 132 PF at 830 ish FPS. Solo is made by Accurate Powders now but Bullseye is comparable in the lower end load but just a tad more snappy.

A buddy of mine bought some from Walley World and shot then at the ICORE Southern Regional out of a 6" Smith. They didn't make 120PF. I'll ask him what they came in at. :unsure:
He says they were about 107PF. That's about 823 FPS.

He says they were about 107PF. That's about 823 FPS.

The Federal version ran ~750 fps from my 4" guns. The only factory non-+P ammo that I've tried that makes the PF are Fiocchi 158 grain FMJ and S&B 158 grain RNL.

There's a way to bypass the chrono:

A competitor, using a revolver chambered in .38 Special and/or .357 Magnum and using factory new UMC 158 grain, Remington 158 grain, Blazer 158 grain, or Federal American Eagle 158 grain ammo, may compete without regard to power factor. (Revised 09/13/2004)

Hey guys,

To make power factor in IDPA, I use 4.5gr of Tightgroup with a 158gr CMJ round nose bullet. That is for a 4" barrel S&W 66 but it gets me consistent 130PF

Regards,

That same load makes 126PF from my son's 4" GP100. It's a pretty mild load, but has been plenty accurate.

158 gr RN with 4.7 grs of W231, Federal primers results in 816 fps = 128.93 power factor.

4.3 grs Bullseye, Federal primer results in 863 fps = 136.35 power factor.

3.5 grs of Bulseye , Federal primers results in 814 fps = 128.6 power factor.

All of this produces tight groups in my S&W model 66 with a 4" barrel.

Good luck.

The only factory non-+P ammo that I've tried that makes the PF are Fiocchi 158 grain FMJ and S&B 158 grain RNL.

Tried the Fiocchi's out of my 4" model 27 and they didn't make the PF from that gun.

Never tried the S&B 158 RNL but the 158 FMJ S&B's didn't cut it in the 27, either.

So I said hell with it and run my almost major (163 PF) .357 125 grain HPs. It's just plain funner that way, anyway. :D

Thanks guys, I am going to have to find a conversion kit for the 650 and cook up some of my own. I just liked the idea of buying hers instead of using my time to load for her.
Try some 158gr first. I'm pretty sure he was referring to ICORE (bypassing the chrono). But they may make 125PF.

After my last session with my Model 15 4" and the chrono, the Berry's 158rn with 3.7grs of solo 1000 are giving me in the low 700fps and the lasercast 158fp(sorta round) are easy 100fps faster in the low 800 range. My extreme spread with the lasercast bullets is around 50 fps and as much as 150fps off with the berry's bullets. I check my powder charge here and there and is allways dead on from where I started. Even with these velocity extremes, the gun is super accurate at 25 yards. The solo 1000 leaves the revolver spotless after a match! Maybe a different powder would give me a tighter extreme spread, but my accuracy is'nt suffering.

Thanks guys, I am going to have to find a conversion kit for the 650 and cook up some of my own. I just liked the idea of buying hers instead of using my time to load for her.
Try some 158gr first. I'm pretty sure he was referring to ICORE (bypassing the chrono). But they may make 125PF.

Good point. The stuff I tried didn't make the 125 PF for IDPA out of my gun. It may just make it from a different gun, though. Don't remember the exact numbers so I don't know if they would have made the ICORE 120 PF.

Good point. The stuff I tried didn't make the 125 PF for IDPA out of my gun. It may just make it from a different gun, though. Don't remember the exact numbers so I don't know if they would have made the ICORE 120 PF.

Yep sorryfor the confusion, I read into it you were shooting ICORE because of the 120 number.