Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening Ar Buffer Spring

MyBoyElroy

Going to the range this morning to test cutting coils off the AR's buffer spring to smooth it out some more.

Got a couple rifle buffer springs, a carbine spring and one I found that's in-between length. Plan to cut coils till the rifle doesn't run.

Is there a standard for what works? My seat-of-the-pants guess is remove two coils to start then remove one coil at a time.

Other than filing the end of the spring wire smooth should it be heated/bent flat again?

Edited by MyBoyElroy

Souds like a good way to break a AR- why?

Because I want to spread out the recoil impulse and don't need a spring capable of operating the action with a 55gr projectile launched at 3400 ft/sec when mine will be running 2940. And I want the spring to use it's compression energy over a longer physical path while retaining adequate momentum to strip rounds from the magazine. The trade-off between compressed lengths/strengths will provide more than adequate momentum when used with a light load and the carrier/buffer retract further.

And please leave my AR's to me thank you very much. I can break 'em and I can fix 'em just fine.

Suggestion only, but I would run at least three to four mags through before you start cutting to get it warm and dirty. What I have found, YMMV, is that cutting springs for use in a rifle receiver extension has a very marginal effect. The pulse is fairly long and soft to start with. It's more successful and noticeable using a carbine spring and buffer in either a carbine extension or a rifle extension with a spacer inside to make it the effect length of a carbine one. Depending on ammo, magazines, buffer weight, gas volume and carrier weight, you will be able to cut as many as 8 or nine coils from a carbine spring. All the various factors will bite you if you aren't careful, but experimenting with springs, which are cheap, is a good way to learn what can work.

Also, I would not do this with a new upper that has less than 500-1000 rounds through it. Otherwise, you will end up recalibrating until the bolt, carrier, barrel extension, and receiver wear in. Don't heat the spring, and if you break the wire, rather than cut it, the end will be smooth enough. Put the cut end aft, formed end forward arouond the buffer.

Suggestion only, but I would run at least three to four mags through before you start cutting to get it warm and dirty. What I have found, YMMV, is that cutting springs for use in a rifle receiver extension has a very marginal effect. The pulse is fairly long and soft to start with. It's more successful and noticeable using a carbine spring and buffer in either a carbine extension or a rifle extension with a spacer inside to make it the effect length of a carbine one. Depending on ammo, magazines, buffer weight, gas volume and carrier weight, you will be able to cut as many as 8 or nine coils from a carbine spring. All the various factors will bite you if you aren't careful, but experimenting with springs, which are cheap, is a good way to learn what can work.

Also, I would not do this with a new upper that has less than 500-1000 rounds through it. Otherwise, you will end up recalibrating until the bolt, carrier, barrel extension, and receiver wear in. Don't heat the spring, and if you break the wire, rather than cut it, the end will be smooth enough. Put the cut end aft, formed end forward arouond the buffer.

Thank you Paule. That is exactly the kind of insightful response I appreciate and look forward to on this forum.

My expereince at the range this afternoon is my AR will run smoothly and reliably with four coils removed shooting 55gr bullets down to 1850 ft/sec. I did warm the rifle with fouling rounds loaded to 2750 ft/sec to ensure the 35P is calibrated.

Starting with a standard 12.5" 44-coil USGI rifle buffer spring I cut three coils and tested then cut another one coil and retested. Rifle ran fine and "seemed" to be smoother in recoil. From your experience I think I will go back and try cutting a few more. I have more springs. :D

Again, thanks for your reply. :)

At the risk of getting the Benny Hill treatment, I would suggest that you not explore this path too far: you can break a rifle with this experiment. If you shorten the spring too much, you increase bolt/carrier travel. Which does smooth out the recoil stroke, but only until you get to the point where the increased travel brings the carrier key in contact with the buffer tube ring of the lower.

If you're lucky, all you'll do is shear off the carrier key screws. If you aren't you'll crack the buffer tube ring on the lower. I was lucky, I broke the carrier key screws doing a different experiment with the same goal.

At the risk of getting the Benny Hill treatment, I would suggest that you not explore this path too far: you can break a rifle with this experiment. If you shorten the spring too much, you increase bolt/carrier travel. Which does smooth out the recoil stroke, but only until you get to the point where the increased travel brings the carrier key in contact with the buffer tube ring of the lower.

If you're lucky, all you'll do is shear off the carrier key screws. If you aren't you'll crack the buffer tube ring on the lower. I was lucky, I broke the carrier key screws doing a different experiment with the same goal.

Learn how an AR operates. That's what the "plastic" tit on the rear of the buffer is for. It keeps the carrier from travelling too far to the rear. If you want to shear the key, run a carbine buffer in a rifle tube. Ask me how I know. I didn't learn this stuff from reading an interent forum.

Learn how an AR operates. That's what the "plastic" tit on the rear of the buffer is for. It keeps the carrier from travelling too far to the rear. If you want to shear the key, run a carbine buffer in a rifle tube. Ask me how I know. I didn't learn this stuff from reading an interent forum.

Seriously dude ... if you are such an expert and the advice of others is to be followed by you putting them in their place ... why do you bother asking.

Just in case you are not familiar with the gentlemen you chose to offend, I'm ready to wager cold hard cash that guns built by either of them work. For cheapstake like me, that says a lot. You may wish to do some research on these two gentlemen, and listen to their experience.

Edited by Vlad