Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If [insert Name Of Gm De Jour] Shot Action Pistol...

BigDave

Jeff,

In my opinion, Production needs a class on it's own. We can get classified in Open, Metallic and Rimfire. A shooter wanting to shoot Production needs that seperate classification. With that comes the IPSC rule of a 5 pound trigger. I believe that the main complaint with Production is that they have to shoot against 1911's with slicked up triggers. The 5 pound rule would level the playing field.

If you could get Production changed I would consider it a victory and not push for the Barricade thing right away.

Doug and I tried to get the prone back during the first conference call that we had. We tried to get the prone back from 15 on back. I figured we could comprimise to 20 on back. That got shot down and we wound up with the 25. Mostly because they could print the Practical and Plate rule changes to read shooters can go prone from the 25 yard line and back and cover both events. I find it hilarious that the other so called shooter on the committee was part of the reason that the prone was taken away and he has missed a plate every year since. The one thing that you have to remember with the NRA is that it is all about convenience to them. That is the biggest reason why we got the two pound trigger. The standard NRA trigger weight set doesn't go to one pound. I'm not saying that you can't do it or shouldn't try. I just want to let you know what went on before.

Speaking of trigger pulls, we were initially told that all NRA disciplines would be going to a min. trigger pull. The NRA lawyer came in and told us that we needed to put a min. weight on the triggers because of liability issues. At the Cup this year, I was told the reason they were doing this and it was because of the rifle people. I believe that it was F-class. The shooters were closing the bolts and apparently had to start from the standing position and then go prone. Their triggers were so light that the force of going prone set some of the rifles off. The kicker is that their trigger rule wasn't changed. In Shooting Sports, listed under the silhouette rules, read in bold "any safe trigger". A/P was the only one that got changed.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth getting my blood pressure up anymore. I told Rudy last year that NRA needs to get out of it and I stand behind that statement. The one pound trigger is in my guns to stay.

Edited by Action Pistolero

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been shooting the BC for the past 18 years and I have seen the numbers decline each year. The only way to keep it alive is to shoot the sport. If you don't shoot AP, you don't have a say so at the meetings. I am going to push this year for the producton class to be able to use the barricades and for the open shooters to be able to go prone, 10 yards if you can! Does anyone have any suggestions, except the 2lb trigger. I've been told that is just not going to happen.

Jeff Rowe

Jeff,

Great to see you here. Do you know if the petition that the aussies were circulating has made it anywhere, or are they still gather signatures back home? I"m going to put one up at the next AP match back home on the same topic. Many of you guys who have been at this for a while said it best - regulate the gun, not the shooter.

I've said it before (as others have), but Production really needs to be a division separate from Metallic sight. If it were aligned with USPSA Production or IDPA SSP/SSR, that could give us a direct tap into those two sports. Right now, they still have to complete against "factory" 1911s. Different animals. Build it and they will come (I hope anyway)

I think the trigger is a losing battle with the NRA - and a mindless rule to start with. Despite their claims, there isn't a single grain of logic that factored into their decision and as someone pointed out at the meeting, not universal among all other NRA shooting disciplines (sp?).

Thanks!!!

Dave Pluimer

Dave,

I saw it and I signed it. I think it might even have a little pull. I hope that they will see that the majority wants it.

Jeff