Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Stock

PaulW

Paul,

I tried the speed loaders on my pistol gripped full stocked 870. No way to get the angle to feed them in. I would go with the straight stock. You could probably modify the stock to work but its my duty gun so I leave it as is. Hell if 8 rnds of 00 buck doesn't solve it noting will!

Maybe it's because the first rifle I used a lot was my M16 in the Army, but I've always liked the pistol gripped long guns. I really prefer the straight reach to the trigger versus the downward cammed trigger finger you have to use with a standard stock.

Regular stocks are the way to go on a competition shotgun.  It's very difficult to quickly load a pistol-gripped shotgun - as Chris notes, the grip gets in the way.    I've never seen a pistol-gripped shotgun set up for speedloaders so I suspect that they don't work but I've never tried it.  None of the super-squad at the 3 gun Nationals had a pistol-gripped stock.  Plus IMHO, a pistol-grip looks really ugly on a shotgun!  

Actually I've seen a modified p-grip used as an integral part of the reload. I recall one with a groove filed into it and another with a bracket on it. They use the groove or bracket as a guide to make a straight shot into the loading port.

If you guys haven't seen Grams' new Tecloader guide, you should check it out.

Chris and Duane, I am making fun of pistol-gripped shotguns:)  Ugly!    I agree that the pistolgrip has it's place on a duty gun b/c it is so much easier to control w/ one hand.  But it's also easier to disarm someone w/ a pistol-gripped shotgun - their grip is easier to break.  Plus they're ugly but someone has to date the ugly girls.

In all seriousness, speedloading the shotgun is super important at SOF, Myst Mtn, and the 3Gun Natls.  Trying to rapidly load a limited shotgun w/ a pistolgrip poses quite a hurdle - the grip is just in the way.  The pistol-grip does not interfere w/ the Gunsite style of speedloading (shooter maintains firing grip w/ strong hand and loads solely w/ the weak hand from underneath the shotgun) but that is not the fastest method (In fact Gunsite Instructor Mike Hughes is about the only person I have ever seen load quickly in this fashion). I don't believe that the pistol grip aids in recoil control as some claim.  

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...